Radium metal halide bulbs will not be produced anymore!

ajax969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly off subject but since I work in the automotive/trucking industry and that was my first love as far as hobbies go. It was passed earlier this year that companies would not be producing halogen/incandescent bulbs that consume more energy than they produce.
I don't know if that is the exact wording but it was the gist of the "law"(I use that term loosely here) but what I took away from it was that the old faithful lightbulb as we know it is on the way to being phased out and LED will be the new norm.

I wouldn't have an issue with this if companies like Sylvania came out and said, "Hey this just doesn't make sense for us to do so we are discontinuing these lines of bulbs" but for the government to step in and mandate this is ridiculous at some of the high level.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're referring to input, that's true. Not true if you're referring to heat output. A 1,000W MH bulb doesn't produce light with every watt of power input. Heat is actually a waste product. A 1,000W heater is designed to produce maximum heat output as the primary product (note there's no light produced).
Nobody in this forum generally cares what byproduct is related to energy input. The exception is during the winter months the dissipated energy as heat is beneficial to many of us. When you're using 1000 watts of halides or 1000 watts of LED or 1000 watts or heater, it really doesn't matter at all.

In fact, I'd bet many of us don't care that much about energy expenditure (poll the energy bills, folks) [this is unrelated to the actual discussion but only a comment in response to your wasted energy byproduct mark].

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't have an issue with this if companies like Sylvania came out and said, "Hey this just doesn't make sense for us to do so we are discontinuing these lines of bulbs" but for the government to step in and mandate this is ridiculous at some of the high level.

The government did not do this. Specialty bulbs are under no orders to stop production in the US and EU. The issue is several fold, but there are too many companies making specialty bulbs and that some of them made the specialty bulbs kinda as a side hustle. This was all market based. In Ushio and Radium case, they are going to let other people make reefing bulbs now and they are going to focus on their core business stuff.

Governments only regulated the use of general purpose lighting, which is very good for most things, IMO, and needed to happen. Lighting for reefs, reptiles, baby incubators, food heaters, film processing and any other thing that you can think of is still allowed if people still want to make them.

This will all end up in a consolidation of bulbs from a few suppliers. This could be good or bad. People worried when this has happened before and 20k Radium and 14k Phoenix came out of those reorganizations. Time will need to tell.

I know that people like to be ticked at governments, but there is no reason here... gotta find something else to be mad at The Man about. :)

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly off subject but since I work in the automotive/trucking industry and that was my first love as far as hobbies go. It was passed earlier this year that companies would not be producing halogen/incandescent bulbs that consume more energy than they produce.
I don't know if that is the exact wording but it was the gist of the "law"(I use that term loosely here) but what I took away from it was that the old faithful lightbulb as we know it is on the way to being phased out and LED will be the new norm.

Might as well throw seat belts and air bags out as well. Get rid of lemon laws ect.
The good of the many outweighs the good of the one.

But you are referring to incandescent bulbs that convert like 10% of their energy input to something useable well unless you need a heater (in the spirit of the above)

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
400 watt users: 6500k iwasaki by the case. Pretty sure these were the OG arc eye bulbs.

IMG_3662.png

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Champion is selling 400w 5500k BlueLine? for $10 each. I got a handful to grow my tropical plants under in the winter time - they will last a long time only running a few hours a day during the cold months. My banana plants grow really well under them and produce good fruit.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The government did not do this. Specialty bulbs are under no orders to stop production in the US and EU. The issue is several fold, but there are too many companies making specialty bulbs and that some of them made the specialty bulbs kinda as a side hustle. This was all market based. In Ushio and Radium case, they are going to let other people make reefing bulbs now and they are going to focus on their core business stuff.

Governments only regulated the use of general purpose lighting, which is very good for most things, IMO, and needed to happen. Lighting for reefs, reptiles, baby incubators, food heaters, film processing and any other thing that you can think of is still allowed if people still want to make them.

This will all end up in a consolidation of bulbs from a few suppliers. This could be good or bad. People worried when this has happened before and 20k Radium and 14k Phoenix came out of those reorganizations. Time will need to tell.

I know that people like to be ticked at governments, but there is no reason here... gotta find something else to be mad at The Man about. :)
Right, major market shake ups.
Osram, GE, Tungram (GE), Radium, Ushio, EYE Hortilux all divesting themselves of the legacy bulb market.
Some voluntarily, some not.
Who picks up the pieces and what they do with them is up in the air.

There are bulbs and industries that need certain legacy products since there are "currently" no economic replacements for them.
Not to mention I suspect millions of industrial lighting.

Problem is that there could be a lag in production or shortfall due to the usual takeover reshuffles to maximize profits to pay for purchase ect.
Then each will search their portfolios and throw out the "dead weight"
Maybe one or the others will pick up the market since they will be in somewhat of a monopoly.
Sooo supply will diminish, prices will rise then "maybe" competition will move in and on it goes.

Pure speculation.

I'm still under the impression that Radium and a few other bulb manuf did not even produce their own cores.
They did assemble bulbs (so they can say made in germany) but the arc cores were made by a 3rd party.
I'm still trying to find the source of that memory. :(

There are cheap 7500k's out there.

Oh if California exempts them well rest assured the rest of the states will do the same. So yes, won't be gov. mandate as you already stated.

Last edited:

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, major market shake ups.
Osram, GE, Tungram (GE), Radium, Ushio all divesting themselves of the legacy bulb market.
Some voluntarily, some not.
Who picks up the pieces and what they do with them is up in the air.

There are bulbs and industries that need certain legacy products since there are "currently" no economic replacements for them.
Not to mention I suspect millions of industrial lighting.

Problem is that there could be a lag in production or shortfall due to the usual takeover reshuffles to maximize profits to pay for purchase ect.
Then each will search their portfolios and throw out the "dead weight"
Maybe one or the others will pick up the market since they will be in somewhat of a monopoly.
Sooo supply will diminish, prices will rise then "maybe" competition will move in and on it goes.

Pure speculation.

I'm still under the impression that Radium and a few other bulb manuf did not even produce their own cores.
They did assemble bulbs (so they can say made in germany) but the arc cores were made by a 3rd party.
I'm still trying to find the source of that memory. :(

As I was typing this the $200 bulb post.. EEK.
There are cheap 7500k's out there.

Oh if California exempts them well rest assured the rest of the states will do the same. So yes, won't be gov. mandate as you already stated.
Case of 12 ..

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had our German FES talk to Radium natively, they needed to sell their next gen product, so having true MH on the menu led people to their competitors or they did not want to change at all... not good for them going forward. They would not rule out another run EVER and made NO promises, but they also are doing something with their equipment, so that does not jive too much - I have posted about what I read into this. They told her that they care about the hobby, the other people who use their bulbs and that they will not be left hanging since there is plenty of market for companies to make money... again, need to see it even though I have posted with a pretty good idea of what I think is happening. It is the delay that sucks. It is PEC that I cannot get a read on despite many efforts - only basically a "we will see" type of response.

There are German and Austrian companies, including Ushio, that are still going to make other mercury based bulbs because nobody else is around to pick them up. Photography, medical instruments are a few that come to mind. They do not want to just leave a gap for people who depend on them with no other alternative.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's reassuring to hear but hard to wait for. Imagine what some 2023 reflectors could be like...

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i soon will need a new 250w bulb i love my radiums i still have 1 or 2 left but would like to pick up some more bulbs what would be good bulbs to pick up ?

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 13.1%
Back