SBB - Black Friday/Cyber Monday 900 WYSYWG Corals! 80% off $2500 in gift card giveaways!

Thuan

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Same here, but very true no two testers will be the same. Especially on the Alk testers I use. Hanna, Salifert and Trident. Trindentvis alway .4 below Salifert and Hanna is .4 above Salifert. Consistent that way every week. I just average the three.
From what I've learned from @billyocean when he helped me dial in my alk, don't chase the numbers. Key is consistent and not big swing. Mine is .1, .2 at the very most

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What I'm saying though is that a variance exists, it's in the manual, and if you are taking water to a LFS to test then it might not even be the same person testing.

For example, you always test the same way @billyocean , you might start by swirling the reagent bottle and then wiping down the cuvette with your dirty sock (if I recall you don't use a microfiber cloth), then spin or flip the vial 5 times. That process is the same so results whether they are off or not will be consistent.

If I take it to a LFS, maybe the guy does swirl the reagent or maybe he doesn't, maybe one uses a dirty sock and one uses a proper microfiber cloth which means there is a variance due to the procedure of testing.

Yeah I agree on this. I only take mine to the LFS now, just because I know the owners. There's only them two, a husband and wife. I used to check myself and use them as a verification every couple of weeks. Then just started having them do all of it.

I usually have them check everything once a week for me, unless I notice something is way off. I know they use a combination of hanna, red sea and salifert.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hanna isn't as "you gotta be exactly precise" as everyone thinks. I've intentionally been over and under the mark on the vial...I've made variances in the amount of reagent....its still the same. Obviously within reason..but a little here or there doesn't even change anything. The key is a smudge free vial. As long as you aren't wiping it dry with sandpaper the micro scratches don't even matter...I use Vida paper towels...which are quite soft.

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've learned from @billyocean when he helped me dial in my alk, don't chase the numbers. Key is consistent and not big swing. Mine is .1, .2 at the very most
Yes. I don’t chase, just watch for trends. Pretty easy since they all three trend together. The time I have to be concerned is refilling my 75 gallon saltwater storage tank. Takes it about 25 days between fillings. Using IO Reef Crystals so when I fill it, Alk is up around 11 and slowly drops over the 25 days down to 9. I watch the trend and adjust the dosing to keep the tank stable though every storage tank refill. Since I only change out 2.5 gallons a day, the drift down is very slow.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hanna isn't as "you gotta be exactly precise" as everyone thinks. I've intentionally been over and under the mark on the vial...I've made variances in the amount of reagent....its still the same. Obviously within reason..but a little here or there doesn't even change anything. The key is a smudge free vial. As long as you aren't wiping it dry with sandpaper the micro scratches don't even matter...I use Vida paper towels...which are quite soft.
Agree, I've been 1mm or so above or below the line on the cuvette and inside the syringe and use CostCo paper towels. I can see the debris remnants of the paper towels on the cuvette and it doesn't matter. I do wonder if the remnants can get inside the checker itself and build up inside...but that's probably over thinking it

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, I've been 1mm or so above or below the line on the cuvette and inside the syringe and use CostCo paper towels. I can see the debris remnants of the paper towels on the cuvette and it doesn't matter. I do wonder if the remnants can get inside the checker itself and build up inside...but that's probably over thinking it
Maybe next time I do the alk test I'll blow inside of the Checker like an old Nintendo game.

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wondering what salt most of you all run. I typically run TM Pro and have for years.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Is my shirt considered microfiber?
No, only your beard.
beard GIF

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what salt most of you all run. I typically run TM Pro and have for years.
AquaForest Reef. Changed from Reef Crystals late last year.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how 3 hours into the auction and half the torches are already above their sales price... People don't like losing I guess.
Yeah and not just the torches during the auctions. Seen some ridiculous bids in general. I’ve got a few bids in but waiting for near the end to see how things pan out mostly

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, frag tank set up complete. Got two damsels and a skunk shrimp. They are in the tank also seeing copapods and tiny little stars from the live rock I put in. Ammonia is stable at zero as of now. I’ll probably feed them a little heavy for a few days to get the nutrient level up to N03 15.0 and PO4 to 0.12.

I’m thinking give it a week or so and if testing looks good, grab a few of my not so special frags and put them in. Who knows, the different lights and parameters may make them look better.

1701378234784.jpeg

1701378271391.jpeg

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 7 12.3%
Back