Should I go to RAP in California?

ejsanchez92399

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking for some general feedback, experiences, advice, etc. Interested in going but it's a 7hr drive so it would be a multi day thing. Is it worth it? Are there good deals? Is it crowded? Show off what you've scored if you'd like. All input welcome.
Yeah last year in 2023 was my first time, it was okay, a bit disappointed more major brand reps were not there to converse with. Also bummed that more major vendors like BRS, or Top Shelf did not participate too. I would probably just go for one day if I was to go again since you can go through everything in like under an hour.

OP
OP
Aaron75

Aaron75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah last year in 2023 was my first time, it was okay, a bit disappointed more major brand reps were not there to converse with. Also bummed that more major vendors like BRS, or Top Shelf did not participate too. I would probably just go for one day if I was to go again since you can go through everything in like under an hour.
What was your goal in going? We're you looking/hoping for something specific? Or were you just underwhelmed in general?

OP
OP
Aaron75

Aaron75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subtract fuel, meals, lodging, admission... there are no deals. A fun experience maybe, but not a deal.
Oh interesting take. Care to elaborate? My goal in going would be to score some high end zoas or mushrooms. Would I be better off just reaching out to fellow r2r people and buying from marketplace?

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not find RAP worth it and I only drove like an hour.

I certainly would not go there hoping you get better deals, I would expect you will spend more once you take gas (and possibly? lodging?) into factor

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a vendor there I want to meet. Tusi if you’re familiar with him he will be there. Jason fox and peices of the ocean. Plus R2R has a booth.
Now I want to go.

There is a general saying, goes something like;

"If you have to ask, then you can't afford it."

In Reefing the saying is modified;

"If you have to ask then you have to buy it."

Hope to see you there, @Aaron75 :cool:

kim kardashian success GIF by Dreams Inspire Reality

OP
OP
Aaron75

Aaron75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 1 was pretty positive, Day 2 has been less so. Interesting development, hoping for more input.

ejsanchez92399

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your goal in going? We're you looking/hoping for something specific? Or were you just underwhelmed in general?
I have just never went before, and I was just underwhelmed was all (UNS had a great showing though). Although if they bump up the amount of vendors and participation this year I may be more excited. But yeah, you can score SOME good deals when trying to negotiate with the various booths that are selling stuff.

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh interesting take. Care to elaborate? My goal in going would be to score some high end zoas or mushrooms. Would I be better off just reaching out to fellow r2r people and buying from marketplace?
What is there to elaborate? Just do the math. But sure...

Day 1
7 hour drive = $100 in fuel to get there
Road meal = $25
Dinner = $50
Room = $150 - $250

Day 2
Breakfast - $25
Admission - $30
Lunch - $25
Fuel in NY and Drive home $125

Tolls both ways?
Staying (2) nights? - room cost, more meals.
Parking costs?
Wear and tear on your car (tires, brakes, oil, engine and transmission miles, etc.) govt pays $0.67/mile - so the real operating cost (minus fuel) is likely closer to $1 mile. So somewhere between $500 and $750 worth of wear on the car.

Sure you can bring a box of saltines and a few energy bars for meals Stay in a $50 flea bag or sleep in the car... But you will still have a lot of bundled cost.

So those really "rare" "cool" zoas you wants that are $200 online and $175 at the show... what are you saving exactly... unless you buy $3,000 in coral to offset the sunk cost and make it a "deal" but then was it deal because you spent $2500 more than you wanted to....

Bottom line - you go to something like this for the experience of enjoying it, not for "deals" unless the it is the idea if a "deal" sans reality that makes you feel good.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only one way to find out for self as others may not share same appreciation and that's to go. Were it only 7 hours for me I would. Perhaps there are small airport to airport options that get you there quick enough and cost of that compared to wear and tear plus gas plus accommodations and food plus arrive refreshed and return the same day worth it.

EliMelly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What is there to elaborate? Just do the math. But sure...

Day 1
7 hour drive = $100 in fuel to get there
Road meal = $25
Dinner = $50
Room = $150 - $250

Day 2
Breakfast - $25
Admission - $30
Lunch - $25
Fuel in NY and Drive home $125

Tolls both ways?
Staying (2) nights? - room cost, more meals.
Parking costs?
Wear and tear on your car (tires, brakes, oil, engine and transmission miles, etc.) govt pays $0.67/mile - so the real operating cost (minus fuel) is likely closer to $1 mile. So somewhere between $500 and $750 worth of wear on the car.

Sure you can bring a box of saltines and a few energy bars for meals Stay in a $50 flea bag or sleep in the car... But you will still have a lot of bundled cost.

So those really "rare" "cool" zoas you wants that are $200 online and $175 at the show... what are you saving exactly... unless you buy $3,000 in coral to offset the sunk cost and make it a "deal" but then was it deal because you spent $2500 more than you wanted to....

Bottom line - you go to something like this for the experience of enjoying it, not for "deals" unless the it is the idea if a "deal" sans reality that makes you feel good.
Dude I love how pragmatic you are. You always make me smile.

OP
OP
Aaron75

Aaron75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a vendor there I want to meet. Tusi if you’re familiar with him he will be there. Jason fox and peices of the ocean. Plus R2R has a booth.
Alright, it's over, what did you think!?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I saw your post about your wonderful visit. What did you enjoy about it so much? What was your goal in going?
My ultimate reasons I got are to meet/make new friends in the hobby, buy things, and learn new things too. It’s truly an amazing event with people who share the same passion as you! It was my third time going this year and I love it just as much as the first time I went!:)
A few reasons are.
1. There’s more coral and fish than you could ever imagine all in one place as well as vendors and everything saltwater/hobby related. It’s the biggest saltwater aquarium show in America.
2. Meet influential people in the hobby and just people in general who share the same passion as you.
3. Go to a speaker talk as they have them at every show and the list changes.
4. Enter the raffle to try and win some awesome prices.
5. Watch product demos and try out new products.
6. And of course you can buy coral, fish, inverts, and way more.
There’s so much to the show but it’s absolutely doable in one day! Of course you can do both days but in my opinion unless you are a vendor one day is sufficient.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back