Tangs swimming against fan

zeevelji

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed my tangs have been doing this for a while. Maybe 2 weeks? The rabbit fish is a newer addition and has started joining them. Any ideas on why this is? I thought maybe low oxygen at first but they seem to be breathing okay, and I haven't seen any signs of external parasites.

Last edited:

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed my tangs have been doing this for a while. Maybe 2 weeks? The rabbit fish is a newer addition and has started joining them. Any ideas on why this is? I thought maybe low oxygen at first but they seem to be breathing okay, and I haven't seen any signs of external parasites.
How long have you had the tangs, any new fish added. velvet in the gills can cause this as they try to get more oxygen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

zeevelji

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the tangs, any new fish added. velvet in the gills can cause this as they try to get more oxygen.
The tangs have been in the tank for 2 months the rabbit fish about 2 weeks. They did this before the rabbit fish joined them.

If it was velvet they would have all died by now right?

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tangs have been in the tank for 2 months the rabbit fish about 2 weeks. They did this before the rabbit fish joined them.
If it was velvet they would likely be dead by now. I think I had a fish do this a long time ago grew out of it over time but can’t 100% remember. It is strange 2 of them are doing it. Are you using any medications?

OP
OP
Z

zeevelji

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was velvet they would likely be dead by now. I think I had a fish do this a long time ago grew out of it over time but can’t 100% remember. It is strange 2 of them are doing it. Are you using any medications?
Three of them are doing it. It's so weird. No meds

OP
OP
Z

zeevelji

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would try to add as much oxygen as possible. Do you run a skimmer?
There's an overflow that has lots of movement, the skimmer runs at night for 12hrs, there's a separate overflow from the frag tank as well. The tank is 150gal I could add a few airstones in the sump?

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 7 12.1%
Back