*** Tank Talk with Top Lids & Avast Marine Giveaway!! WIN a Plank Autofeeder and Custom Lid for Your Tank!! ***

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a good topic for @Avast Justin and @Top_Lids

TANK TALK: With the increase in availability of 3D printers and 3D print files for reef/aquarium use, is there something keeping you from getting your own 3D printer? If you already have a 3D printer, was it the reefing hobby that drove you to take the plunge or was it something else and reefing just benefits?
No time, no room. Maybe someday. Until then I'll just keep spewing ideas in the hopes that someone will make it. (Hint hint, circular mag buffer.)

Last edited:

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No time, no room. Maybe someday. Until then I'll just spewing ideas in the hopes that someone will make it. (Hint hint, circular mag buffer.)
I was considering the discussion you guys had the other day about a curved glass scraper. I've got an idea that might work.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, since curved tanks aren't all the same curve, the cleaner would need to be flexible. If there were 3 (or more) round cylindrical magnets inside a rubber (or other flexible material) housing with a spring or rubber material behind to push up against the glass, the inside and outside surfaces could flex some to match the contour of the glass.

I don't think I explained it that great but flexible part sits against the glass, internally towards the handle another flexible surface puts some pressure against the part touching the glass to keep the friction to scrape? You might not actually need the internal part so much as the cylindrical magnets inside a flexible "pouch".

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Instead of a solid rectangular magnet:

IMG_20231206_132542409.jpg

One inside, one outside with a handle. Inside has the Velcro scraper material, outside has the mole skin cloth?

ctenophore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: Share a challenging scenario you've faced in your reefkeeping journey. It could be an unexpected algae bloom, equipment malfunction, or a tricky water parameter issue. How did you troubleshoot the problem?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
TANK TALK: Share a challenging scenario you've faced in your reefkeeping journey. It could be an unexpected algae bloom, equipment malfunction, or a tricky water parameter issue. How did you troubleshoot the problem?
IMG_20231202_143825145.jpg

My urchin killed my skimmer which killed my torch and an Acro. I was having some irritated corals and mysterious deaths and couldn't figure it out. I noticed my skimmer was erroring out so I took it out to clean the pump based on the error code and found the wire like this.and the urchin dead.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrun by GHA in my dry rock nano for the umpteenth time. Removed the rocks at the top and replaced with TBS ocean live rocks. When it started growing back, drained the water and removed the GHA by hand with paper towels, misted the rocks with H2O2, and added two turbos and a tux urchin.
1701897431892.jpeg

After
1701897457338.jpeg

And it stayed like that till I took down the tank and transferred to the office 40.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

well it all started with a single Ich dot on my new Gem tang, I panic'ed because its such an expensive fish. I decided to try H202 treatment, It worked well with the ich but looks like it destroyed my bacteria in my tank... i went from a thriving sps tank to a desolate hair algae dead tank.... ive lost thousands in SPS and torches. None died during treatment for 90 days. just after.

Right now its hair algae and 2 dobella's arent putting a dent in the hair algae. I would trade what I have now for that ich lol.

Moral of the story I am the problem

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ohhhh... @JoJosReef just reminded me of my old 75 crash. I lovingly refer to it as the "Great Crash of 75". I was having issues with GHA. I was pulling it out, siphoning it into disposable filter socks and tossing them, scraping and tossing... Nothing I did could get rid of it. It seemed like water changes weren't helping either. My nitrates were around 5 so not high, phosphates were around 0.1 so elevated but a good level. Finally, I tried FluxRx and still nothing! Then, I knocked my magnetic scraper off the glass on accident and found some rust. I immediately removed the magnet and threw it away. Within a week the GHA almost entirely disappeared. That's when I found out why my Montis were dying.... Yep, Monti Eating Nudibranches.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
well it all started with a single Ich dot on my new Gem tang, I panic'ed because its such an expensive fish. I decided to try H202 treatment, It worked well with the ich but looks like it destroyed my bacteria in my tank... i went from a thriving sps tank to a desolate hair algae dead tank.... ive lost thousands in SPS and torches. None died during treatment for 90 days. just after.

Right now its hair algae and 2 dobella's arent putting a dent in the hair algae. I would trade what I have now for that ich lol.

Moral of the story I am the problem
Check your magnets! H2O2 should kill algae, not fuel it.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
cant you just scrape parallel to the curve? Should be "flat" in that plane
That works with a hand scraper. They're trying to figure out a magnetic glass cleaner for a Bowfront or cylinder tank.

Brisk

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not sure if this counts since my tank is on order but it has been a journey getting up to this point. I felt it was a challenge deciding between freshwater or reefing along with the researching. Then there are other decisions to make such as what equipment do I need and/or do I want and how much I want to spend. I definitely grew extra white hairs up to this point with the stress. To overcome this, I tried to remember to take my time, step back if I needed to, create an excel sheet of pros vs cons, and try to ask for advice from others.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went through the same thing (see my post above). Sorry you're going through it.
its ok.. im kinda in a transitional period with my tanks so the less coral I have sadly will be easier. I am turning my 180 into my main tank, plumbing my current 70g in my office into a frag system so lots of work to do and I need to transfer corals and rocks.

bruce337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a good topic for @Avast Justin and @Top_Lids

TANK TALK: With the increase in availability of 3D printers and 3D print files for reef/aquarium use, is there something keeping you from getting your own 3D printer? If you already have a 3D printer, was it the reefing hobby that drove you to take the plunge or was it something else and reefing just benefits?
so expensive, plus i want clear stuff so it doesn't ruin natural look of tank

bruce337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: What's been your most expensive / heartbreaking fish loss due to jumping?
Mata Tang, so hard to find, so much personality, left top door open on accident - guess he thought it was feedign time - he jumped at feeding time

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 12 16.0%
Back