What are fish go through

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone a video of how much are fish are put through before they even get to are LFS
What’s your thoughts on it ?

Thanks.

This is one of those "demo" videos, showing "best practices". See how they are only able to catch large hippo tangs? That's because the small ones are too difficult to catch without cyanide. In other demo videos I've seen, they use barrier nets to catch tangs and such, but you never seen them catch more cryptic fish like deep water angels, because those are all caught with cyanide.

The work that the LINI foundation is doing is great, but it is a tiny portion of the Indo trade. Did you hear the one exporter say, to paraphrase, we limit cyanide fish, but we need a test for it and we cannot stop it all. In essence, that's because they cannot stop it at all, indeed, some exporters actually supply cyanide to the collectors.

Jay

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

This is one of those "demo" videos, showing "best practices". See how they are only able to catch large hippo tangs? That's because the small ones are too difficult to catch without cyanide. In other demo videos I've seen, they use barrier nets to catch tangs and such, but you never seen them catch more cryptic fish like deep water angels, because those are all caught with cyanide.

The work that the LINI foundation is doing is great, but it is a tiny portion of the Indo trade. Did you hear the one exporter say, to paraphrase, we limit cyanide fish, but we need a test for it and we cannot stop it all. In essence, that's because they cannot stop it at all, indeed, some exporters actually supply cyanide to the collectors.

Jay
Thanks jay

I just came across it . I always wondered how much stress the fish go through now I know a lot and stress brings on disease. Also the locals blowing the fish out the water with dynamite for the restaurant trade . Oh boy

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks jay

I just came across it . I always wondered how much stress the fish go through now I know a lot and stress brings on disease. Also the locals blowing the fish out the water with dynamite for the restaurant trade . Oh boy

They also use cyanide for the live food fish trade in Hong Kong (ugh).

I've bookmarked the video and am going to watch it in-depth later, when I have more time.

Thanks again for finding that.

Jay

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish go through a bit of hassle .
Did you notice what the wholesaler dropped the ph too then rises up-to 8.2

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just think it’s so nice that those fish get to see the world at no cost to them. This has peeked my interest in the Pacific blue tang. Stupid question, I know, but one of these should be fine in a 32g ( that’s a certain amount of liters, Nman). I’ve seen, on this forum, one kept in a 5 g pico for 4-5 years and it looks fat and happy. In all seriousness, I will try to buy captive bread every time.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14:14 Pro fish handler demonstrates how to handle a lionfish. interesting video. I wonder how much a fisherman gets paid for their daily catch?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks jay

Yeah thats horrible to be honest. Very upsetting they do that. I cried seeing all the dead triggers all cause they wanted one dang fish to eat. Awful

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14:14 Pro fish handler demonstrates how to handle a lionfish. interesting video. I wonder how much a fisherman gets paid for their daily catch?
Pennies in are money . You hit the nail on the head handling the lion fish rather him than me

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thats horrible to be honest. Very upsetting they do that. I cried seeing all the dead triggers all cause they wanted one dang fish to eat. Awful
Yep destroying the reef bottom and all those fish laying at the bottom. Destroying 2 things at once shocking practice

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just think it’s so nice that those fish get to see the world at no cost to them. This has peeked my interest in the Pacific blue tang. Stupid question, I know, but one of these should be fine in a 32g ( that’s a certain amount of liters, Nman). I’ve seen, on this forum, one kept in a 5 g pico for 4-5 years and it looks fat and happy. In all seriousness, I will try to buy captive bread every time.
tom and jerry fishbowl GIF
I will buy you one for Christmas if your a good Boy lol

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I posted an article here recently where I estimated the amount paid for fishers based on data that I had found in a paper, and then adjusted it for inflation.

Common Name Scientific Name Local Name SIZE Local price Roving price USD
Emperor angelfish Pomacanthus imperator Angel Batman M $3.75 $1.56
Bicolor angelfish Centropyge bicolor Angel BK M,L $0.31 $0.13
Regal angelfish Pygoplites diacanthus Angel Doreng M,L $1.50 $0.50
Maroon Premnas biaculeatus Balong M,L $0.13 $0.06

The full list and other info is in this article: (click on the PDF in the righthand margin)

Jay

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted an article here recently where I estimated the amount paid for fishers based on data that I had found in a paper, and then adjusted it for inflation.

Common Name Scientific Name Local Name SIZE Local price Roving price USD
Emperor angelfish Pomacanthus imperator Angel Batman M $3.75 $1.56
Bicolor angelfish Centropyge bicolor Angel BK M,L $0.31 $0.13
Regal angelfish Pygoplites diacanthus Angel Doreng M,L $1.50 $0.50
Maroon Premnas biaculeatus Balong M,L $0.13 $0.06

The full list and other info is in this article: (click on the PDF in the righthand margin)

Jay
Thanks for the link. I had glanced at that article before, and just read it again more thoroughly.

My observation on handling lionfish without a net is somewhat tongue in cheek; If folks had to use their hands to catch their fishes they might be more careful with what they purchase?

I'd starve trying to live as a fisherman in Indo.

Last edited:

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 13.3%
Back