Reefbot Firmware

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
So, I have poked around inside the SD card to see how I could pull test results and export them to Home Assistant. I am not a programmer, and have less than a year of Linux experience, but grew up using DOS so familiar with the command line style/commands. Few things I have noticed:

1. There is a value for tube length Which leads me to believe this could be adjusted for those who require longer tubes from RO and/or the aquarium.

2. Some, maybe all, of the triation test use all reagent before submitting colors results. Which leads to wasted reagent, can be quite a bit depending how frequently you test.

3. The AWS MQTTS server only allows one concurrent connection at a time, so utilizing the MQTTS for exporting results doesn't seem doable. Could cause an interruption with the Lab that might result in a test failure, but I don't remember what QOS is used.

I would think a local broker that mirrors the AWS cloud for local use would work, but haven't looked into the feasibility of that. Also, think it would take some "decoding" as well as the Lab sends mostly RGB values in steps. It has been a minute since I had time to mess with this endeavour, but I don't remember the results being in the MQTTS as they are sent to the app/dashboard. Also, with Android apps being ofuscated to deter reverse engineering l, it makes it difficult to determine how the results message(s) can be reached for export to other systems. Especially for someone like myself who is not a proficient coder.

If anyone else is interested and has coding capabilities, I'd more than happy to collaborate.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So, I have poked around inside the SD card to see how I could pull test results and export them to Home Assistant. I am not a programmer, and have less than a year of Linux experience, but grew up using DOS so familiar with the command line style/commands. Few things I have noticed:

1. There is a value for tube length Which leads me to believe this could be adjusted for those who require longer tubes from RO and/or the aquarium.

2. Some, maybe all, of the triation test use all reagent before submitting colors results. Which leads to wasted reagent, can be quite a bit depending how frequently you test.

3. The AWS MQTTS server only allows one concurrent connection at a time, so utilizing the MQTTS for exporting results doesn't seem doable. Could cause an interruption with the Lab that might result in a test failure, but I don't remember what QOS is used.

I would think a local broker that mirrors the AWS cloud for local use would work, but haven't looked into the feasibility of that. Also, think it would take some "decoding" as well as the Lab sends mostly RGB values in steps. It has been a minute since I had time to mess with this endeavour, but I don't remember the results being in the MQTTS as they are sent to the app/dashboard. Also, with Android apps being ofuscated to deter reverse engineering l, it makes it difficult to determine how the results message(s) can be reached for export to other systems. Especially for someone like myself who is not a proficient coder.

If anyone else is interested and has coding capabilities, I'd more than happy to collaborate.

Stumbled on this, and no longer run a reef-bot, but intercepting the AWS MQTT broker would be annoying (there is decent authentication you'd have to forward), but possible by adding a certificate to the OS' local certificate store. I suspect there may be easier ways to go about this, but haven't dug deeper into it.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 140 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back