Starting phytoplankton culture with small inoculating culture

Scott714

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I live in Australia and I'm looking to start a phytoplankton culture. We only seem to have Nanno that can be purchased in any bottle sized volumes (300ml, 500ml) at reasonable prices.

I'm looking to start a Tetraselmis culture as from what I've read it's a better choice for pods. The issue is that a starting amount of pure Tetraselmis is expensive and very small volume, looking at only about 5ml or 50ml (this can cost $100AUD or ~$65USD).

The only way I've read/watched about how to start a culture is to use a 1:1 ratio of culture to salt water with some F2. I've seen 1:3 phtyo to salt water recommended as the maximum. But in the case of 5ml this is going to be difficult to setup a 15ml container.

Would be preferential to start with at least 500ml or 1000ml container.

Are there any other ways to start a phyto culture with a very high ratio of culture to salt water? What are the risks with a very dilute inoculating culture of phyto? Would adding 5ml of dense phyto to a 1000ml container with the appropriate amount of F2 eventually grow into a dense culture - just taking a bit longer than the typical 7 day period?

Last edited:

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I live in Australia and I'm looking to start a phytoplankton culture. We only seem to have Nanno that can be purchased in any bottle sized volumes (300ml, 500ml) at reasonable prices.

I'm looking to start a Tetraselmis culture as from what I've read it's a better choice for pods. The issue is that a starting amount of pure Tetraselmis is expensive and very small volume, looking at only about 5ml or 50ml (this can cost $100AUD or ~$65USD).

The only way I've read/watched about how to start a culture is to use a 1:1 ratio of culture to salt water with some F2. I've seen 1:3 phtyo to salt water recommended as the maximum. But in the case of 5ml this is going to be difficult to setup a 15ml container.

Would be preferential to start with at least 500ml or 1000ml container.

Are there any other ways to start a phyto culture with a very high ratio of culture to salt water? What are the risks with a very dilute inoculating culture of phyto? Would adding 5ml of dense phyto to a 1000ml container with the appropriate amount of F2 eventually grow into a dense culture - just taking a bit longer than the typical 7 day period?
Adding 5ml starter to a full 1000ml reactor is not a good idea. Unless your decontamination is flawless, diluting this much will likely lead to something else taking over.

You do not need to fill a bioreactor all the way. Just fill your reactor with 5ml starter and 50ml (max) sanitized media. AFTER it colors up, add another 100ml sanitized media, then 400ml, then topoff.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 116 35.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back