BTA keeps moving

Sevenclubz1031

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got two BTA @ the same time and both are looking very healthy now, it’s been about 3 weeks, one is a Rose tip and has stayed in the same spot, but the other seems to move around the tank a lot, it’s open and appears healthy, eats, and isnt droopy or discolored but just hasn’t found it’s “spot†yet, I have rocks, and hiding spots, different options for it, do you have any suggestions tho? I have two pictures, as you can see the one BTA has moved, but still looks healthy

image.jpg

image.jpg

CoralHut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemones will find a spot eventually just have to deal with roaming until then. They do look a little pale and likely they were bleached when you purchased them. What kind of lighting are you using? Anemones require a high amount of light and in my experience my bubble tips like to be in a decent amount of flow.

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my Green one for a week, it initially was in a great spot, good light great flow and visible. After 3 days it moved, i woke up and it is hidden inside of one of my caves. It hasn't moved yet, but i hope it comes out of the cave and into another spot. only a few tentacles are catching light through a hole in the cave. plus i cant really see whats going on in there, but i definitely can see him deflate and bulk up at different times of the day. I squirted some mysis shrimp in there but cant really see if he caught any. Im just playing the waiting game to see if it will stay there or move again.
Funny thing, now that the BTA is in that cave, all my fish seem to hangout there. 2 Clowns, 1 Tang, 1 Majestic angel and even my shrimp migrated from the right to the left of the tank, like literally in the same space as the BTA....

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's their wandering ways thay keep me from getting one.

Wastedryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a separate island just for them and the all stay put on it. Its just out of reach from the main rocks. Its just one tall rock so they can find different lighting and flow without ditching the island.

tmg1286

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

I started out with one BTA that moved until it found a favorite location. Then almost year later, split in two. Each of the two BTA's moved slightly although staying in the general location. They are situated in what appears to be in a desirable location.

OP
OP
Sevenclubz1031

Sevenclubz1031

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

This is the one that keeps moving this morning, still good coloring and big... I wish my clown fish would go to them! I'd love the BTA to host them

Eric N

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I trap mine with water flow. When an anemone moves it's basically because something is stressing it and all it can do is move around until it is not stressed. So, I designed a spot with a cave towards the middle-bottom of my tank. The cave allows it to retreat from lighting and water flow if it needs to. And, because too high of water flow stresses anemones out, you can use this to your advantage. 1) I hit my corals with currents that my anemone retreats from in order to keep them safe from roamers. 2) I put the anemone and cave in a small eddie. Now Mr. 'nemone can stretch or retreat to make minor adjustments, but if it tries to creep it will essentially hit a wall of stress (current) and back off. This can be used to herd them away if they're already moving. Just turn your powerhead and "suggest" they move. The water trapping technique hasn't failed me.

Eric N

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
This is the one that keeps moving this morning, still good coloring and big... I wish my clown fish would go to them! I'd love the BTA to host them

On hosting: Try using a turkey baster to shoot your clowns' food into the anemone. Also, the water trapping (that I posted earlier) might help with that. Fish like to retreat from heavy current. If you can get them in the same hiding spot and digging into the anemone for food it might help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back