1st gig pic and a question....

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello,

i finally found a healthy gig locally after several months of searching. someone else had it and needed room in their tank. score! lol

it's tan / multi-colored, but i still like it. i am kind of amazed that the tentacles vibrate even without any flow in the tank. the color variations in it are also beautiful, imo. it's 10-12" fully expanded.

sorry for the crappy pic. it was just put in the tank, and just the blue lights are on. i'll get a better pic later.

question.... how do you all move and handle gigs? this thing is so sticky that it's tentacles were sticking to the plastic tub and the rubber gloves that i wore. i'm hoping to find more locally, and would like to know the best wat to transport / move them with the least amount of stress.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful anemone!

OP
OP
geckoejon

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! updated pic.... this gig is just plain beautiful, imo....

Attachments

• DSC_2426.jpg
    DSC_2426.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 182

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice anemone. ;)

IME, moving them is very difficult. I think when you first put it in it is a bit of a juggling act to not have it stick to whatever you are using to move it, but after it grabs on to a rock or something, you pretty much have to let it go where it will.

I have generally tried to put them in by pushing gently on the undersides, and then using water currents fanned with my hand (in a glove) to get them to an appropriate location. I've still had them grab the glove before. Most of the time the tentacles release before any problem occurs, but it is very frustrating.

Just part of the challenge of a gig. :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
geckoejon

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, moving them is very difficult. I think when you first put it in it is a bit of a juggling act to not have it stick to whatever you are using to move it, but after it grabs on to a rock or something, you pretty much have to let it go where it will.

i gained a new respect for moving gigs last night. i was transferring a different gig into a qt, when it touched the inside of my wrist. it lit me up and felt like it was on fire. i still have a mark and it's irritated. i'm allergic to bees, and i'm assuming gigs to some degree. lol live and learn :)

OP
OP
geckoejon

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some update gigantea pics. they are multi-colored gigs. imo, they look great!

these are from the largest gig. i lowered the intensity of the led's a couple weeks ago. the way the colors are coming out in it, i think it likes it. either that or it's all the fish it has eaten. lol

not the best pics, but they give an accurate idea of the different colors and how healthy it is.

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some update gigantea pics. they are multi-colored gigs. imo, they look great!

these are from the largest gig. i lowered the intensity of the led's a couple weeks ago. the way the colors are coming out in it, i think it likes it. either that or it's all the fish it has eaten. lol

not the best pics, but they give an accurate idea of the different colors and how healthy it is.

Very pretty indeed:)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's pretty healthy it looks like, but that can change quick. Be ready!

Gigantea are one of the few anemones that can cause severe allergic reaction to humans.

OP
OP
geckoejon

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! i really did this gig :) i like it just as much as my blue one. well... i like it other then it eating my orange spot filefish male. grrr.... little salty about that one....

i still have a mark on my wrist from where it nailed me even days later.... it will have me a little more cautious when dealing with them....

Last edited:
OP
OP
geckoejon

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol alrighty then.... here is a poor quality cell pic from today. it's hard for me to take a pic left handed. lol

you can still see marks 5 days after getting stung by the gig. it is also still sensitive to heat.

p.s. don't mind the furry arm. i also have furry feet like bilbo baggins :)

Attachments

• photo(9).JPG
    photo(9).JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 100

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back