What would you pay for a captive propagated gig?

Your favorite gig color?

• Blue

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • Green

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Purple

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working with a foundation that's in the early stages of captive propagating (asexual, not spawning) Okinawan purple, blue, and electric green gigs for restocking the islands due to overcollecting of those particular color morphs. To fund their operation, they're considering selling a certain percentage, but the demand for them in Japan is limited. However, it is possible to ship to the US, so I thought I'd inquire. What would you pay for a propagated, disease free, healthy, colorful gig of the color of your choice (blue, purple, electric green) If they began shipping to the US? And of the three color morphs, which is your favorite?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gigantea, not been rare, will likely fetch the same price as WC, even if WC are larger. I will pay more but not twice as much if there are CB Gigantea for sale.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there are sexually reproduced Gigantea, it would be different.
I don’t think one can do asexually reproduce Gigantea with too great of a number. It would be a dream come true if we can sexually reproduce Gigantea.

I think it can be done, but there is no commercial opportunity for Gigantea or Magnifica like in Clam farming. Only preservation and scientific

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of color preference, here in the U.S. generally speaking it's blue, purple, then green (this is based on inquiries I've received--many people have asked me to sell my gigs, or help to find specimens for them).

Since I'm a bit skeptical of the feasibility of asexual reproduction when it comes to gigantea, I'd have to see the specimens that are for sale. In particular, I'll want to view the siphonoglyphs, to make sure that they've healed properly. A few years ago I had a gig that I suspect was cut. It never healed properly, and eventually died. I've also seen people try and fail (they don't fully heal or die in the process). I'm hoping that the foundation has developed a new technique with better results.

I agree with @OrionN that pricing could be the same or more than a WC specimen, since the assumption is that the CB ones are disease free and will easily adapt to a reef aquarium. I'm making some assumptions--that grow out will take place in a controlled environment, free of pathogens (versus being grown out in the ocean, for example) and that they'e been held for an ample amount of time to ensure that the specimen has healed properly, is healthy, eating and growing.

Lastly, why is the foundation considering selling them, instead of relying on grant money to fund the operation entirely? Do they understand that the total cost of propagation (holding for months in individual tanks would be ideal) assuming it is successful, could cost more than the selling price? How can we learn more about the foundation? Are they considering propagating other species?

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ince I'm a bit skeptical of the feasibility of asexual reproduction when it comes to gigantea
Stay tuned , Fellas ...i'm seeing a strange occurance with one of mine ...looks like-repeat- looks like.. it has 2 mouths and is stretched between 2 different rocks...very skinny between the 2 rocks ...I'm watching to see if it pulls itself apart and makes 2 gigs ..

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay tuned , Fellas ...i'm seeing a strange occurance with one of mine ...looks like-repeat- looks like.. it has 2 mouths and is stretched between 2 different rocks...very skinny between the 2 rocks ...I'm watching to see if it pulls itself apart and makes 2 gigs ..
You're not the first to report this happening, but if it's a successful, natural split, that will definitely be a first!

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MartinM --any update? I'm curious to know what progress has been made.

I'm also curious as to why they'd consider shipping all the way to the US when the Japanese market (and Asian market in general) will probably pay more.

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MartinM --any update? I'm curious to know what progress has been made.

I'm also curious as to why they'd consider shipping all the way to the US when the Japanese market (and Asian market in general) will probably pay more.
I’ll try to get more info.

Healthy gigs are not uncommon here. With the yen being down, the USD of a super healthy colorful gig is $75-350 here. I can get multicolors all day long for $75-125, solid colors go for more, around $250-350.

The market is very small here also, reef aquarium keeping as a hobby is nearly dead in Japan. There are no clubs or swaps or anything like that. Most people that have aquariums have small aquariums, too small for a gig. Also, LPS are much more popular here than anything else.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not the first to report this happening, but if it's a successful, natural split, that will definitely be a first!
What happened in the other instances ? do you know any details ? I'm blown away that this is happening.. I got out a flash light yesterday,a stepladder,and craned my neck in such a way that I could help see if in fact there were 2 mouths..It appears there are ..I am in disbelief..

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it actually splits! I have a mags with two mouths that has never split In 2 years, it just has two mouths for some reason...

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working with a foundation that's in the early stages of captive propagating (asexual, not spawning) Okinawan purple, blue, and electric green gigs for restocking the islands due to overcollecting of those particular color morphs. To fund their operation, they're considering selling a certain percentage, but the demand for them in Japan is limited. However, it is possible to ship to the US, so I thought I'd inquire. What would you pay for a propagated, disease free, healthy, colorful gig of the color of your choice (blue, purple, electric green) If they began shipping to the US? And of the three color morphs, which is your favorite?
OP any updates on your foundation? :)

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's a gig? For UK termology, or
basically what does it stand for

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back