Question on Nem and Nano Tank

Anfo42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im asking this question for my brother, he's got a 6 gallon Fluval set up and he was wanting to put a clown in. he also wants a nem so the clown can host. i do know that the advisement of a clown being in such a small tank isn't a smart idea... does anyone have advice on what type of nem if any being put in a tank so small should he go with? he says the LFS suggested that a nem was a bad idea but an ocellaris was okay until it outgrew the tank in which case he could trade for a smaller clown. I've suggested doing a 10 gallon hidden sump on the tank to add to the water volume to keep his perimeters a little more stable as his stand has the space for it, he just likes the aesthetics of the Fluval.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So im asking this question for my brother, he's got a 6 gallon Fluval set up and he was wanting to put a clown in. he also wants a nem so the clown can host. i do know that the advisement of a clown being in such a small tank isn't a smart idea... does anyone have advice on what type of nem if any being put in a tank so small should he go with? he says the LFS suggested that a nem was a bad idea but an ocellaris was okay until it outgrew the tank in which case he could trade for a smaller clown. I've suggested doing a 10 gallon hidden sump on the tank to add to the water volume to keep his perimeters a little more stable as his stand has the space for it, he just likes the aesthetics of the Fluval.

The primary problem in that size tank is not the parameter stability...it's the living space. A clown in that space is not a good idea IMO because clowns (although they don't need much space) need more room than a 6 gal will typically provide...a clown and a nem in that sized space is definitely not a good idea bc when a clown and a nem have not yet paired up and are placed in a confined space, the clown will likely end up being a meal. The reason is that pairing up clowns and nems is a process that both go through in which the clown assimilates some of the anemone's slime into his own which "camouflages" him to the anemone so that the anemone does not perceive the clown as a threat (or a meal). By putting them in that close together, you force prolonged contact (since there's not going to be much space that the clown can occupy that the nem isn't) which will likely result in a feeding impulse by the nem. I'd suggest he get a larger tank with more room...perhaps a 10 gal tank would be more suitable...I'd consider that a minimum (I realize it doesn't seem that much bigger in gallons, but it is almost twice the size of a 6). HTH Good luck to your brother with his new tank!

Last edited:

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to agree with the above. A 6 gallon is just too small for a clown and host anemone.

Right now I have a pair (( one perc, one ocellaris )) and 2 E. quadricolors (( BTA )) in a 10 gallon while I set up my 210, and I feel that it would be too small for long term.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be bashed for this on here and I don't care... I used to have a 5 gal rimless (12"x12"x 16" or something like that)

I had a clownish that was roughly 1 inch and a BTA in there for about a year before I upgraded to a 30 gal tank. it can be done, but watching your level swings is a bit tough. The main problem I had was the water loss seemed rapid for that size tank. I ran just a small HOB filter and an LED with only white lights..

Yes it can be done, and I would still be doing so if I did not upgrade.. everything worked out for me, but I can not saw it would work the same for you.

BrittaniPearl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are quite a few tank of the month winners that keep a clown or 2 in 5 or 6 gallon tanks, as long as you're willing to trade in or upgrade when it outgrows it you should be fine. My own grow out tank for my tiny clowns is around a 7.5 gallon compartment in my dt and he barely swims a quarter of it at the moment

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will be bashed for this on here and I don't care... I used to have a 5 gal rimless (12"x12"x 16" or something like that)

I had a clownish that was roughly 1 inch and a BTA in there for about a year before I upgraded to a 30 gal tank. it can be done, but watching your level swings is a bit tough. The main problem I had was the water loss seemed rapid for that size tank. I ran just a small HOB filter and an LED with only white lights..

Yes it can be done, and I would still be doing so if I did not upgrade.. everything worked out for me, but I can not saw it would work the same for you.

Hey, if you were successful with it, kudos to you! ;) No bashing here. I wouldn't attempt it for the reasons I stated above, but this is a big hobby and I'd be the last to say my opinion is the only one that counts! :D

OP
OP
A

Anfo42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your input everyone! He's pretty adamant on keeping the fluval set up and getting a clown but now he's a little more hesitant on the BTA and he's okay with bring "Nemo" back to the LFS when he gets too big. On another note, i did convince him to do a sump to help with water perimeter stabilization..

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size sump will you be adding? it might be an odd setup for a 10 gal tank.
If you just do a 5-10% weekly water change, there will be no issues at all with the 10 gal tank.

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clown in that tank is pushing the limit a little but it is doable with weekly water changes. I would not put a nem of any type in that size tank.

Also oscileras clowns are not terribly picky about what they host in. I've seen them host in a bunch of different corals. I even had one host in a ricordea mushroom. The mushroom wasn't real happy but the clown sure was.

captainsaquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water chemistry will fluctuate more in a smaller body of water like that. As long as you stay on top of it you shoild be fine. There's a decent facebook group I am in called nano reefkeepers I believe. You may benefit from some of the members there. Cheers!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back