BTA in new tank

Rivus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never fed a nem, all are big and healthy and they keep on splitting. I must have taken several dozen to the LFS, all offspring of the second nem. The first nem back when didn't survive, probably introduced it too soon to a new set up.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Alright thanks for the help! Do I need to wait for it to get used to the tank or can I feed now? If so, how long should I wait?
Allow it to set its foot and find a place to call home and feed Chopped Frozen krill and mysis shrimp and assure phosphate does not become elevated and moderate light and water flow. Too much light and they will hide. Too much flow and they will move or hide

OP
OP
V

valley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allow it to set its foot and find a place to call home and feed Chopped Frozen krill and mysis shrimp and assure phosphate does not become elevated and moderate light and water flow. Too much light and they will hide. Too much flow and they will move or hide
It’s been on that lower rock since yesterday and today. It’s still tucking in its tentacles and bringing them back out again. I’m only noticing this happen with the tentacles on the bottom side. Could this be a light problem or a flow problem or is it just a normal thing they do? It does close up/shrink at night and during the moonlight hours but I’m pretty sure that’s normal. How would this work out when I have clownfish hosting it though? I bought the freeze dried krill and I’ll start feeding tomorrow.

IMG_3142.jpeg IMG_3141.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It’s been on that lower rock since yesterday and today. It’s still tucking in its tentacles and bringing them back out again. I’m only noticing this happen with the tentacles on the bottom side. Could this be a light problem or a flow problem or is it just a normal thing they do? It does close up/shrink at night and during the moonlight hours but I’m pretty sure that’s normal. How would this work out when I have clownfish hosting it though? I bought the freeze dried krill and I’ll start feeding tomorrow.

Reduce white intensity slightly and see if you notice better response

OP
OP
V

valley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reduce white intensity slightly and see if you notice better response
I reduced my white intensity from 15% to 10% and it is still retracting it’s lower tentacles and bringing them out again often. I tried feeding the freeze dried krill today and it didn’t stick to its tentacles and it retracted. Do I just have to give it time?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I reduced my white intensity from 15% to 10% and it is still retracting it’s lower tentacles and bringing them out again often. I tried feeding the freeze dried krill today and it didn’t stick to its tentacles and it retracted. Do I just have to give it time?
Frozen krill or mysis- not dry
When you decreased the white, did you increase the blue a little? If not, do so .

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take the piece of freeze dried krill between two fingers and press the air out inside the tank water a couple of times before giving it to my nems. Helps them hold onto it since freeze dried food floats. I've found they take to this just as much as frozen.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA s/b fine in your tank at this point of maturity. Other points to consider: size( it will get big) splitting (it will) and stinging other corals. BTA will take over a small tank. However it could be quite impressive with a couple of clowns, to go ahead and let it take over. Good luck.

OP
OP
V

valley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen krill or mysis- not dry
When you decreased the white, did you increase the blue a little? If not, do so .
Hey, I increased the blues today and the anemone is still doing the same thing. It’s also either closed shut during night or very small.
Just leave it be and let it settle in. Feeding one that is already stressed from shipping is not a good idea. IMO the only food bubble tips need is light.
I don’t have any fish in the tank yet and I’m only feeding coral food 2x a week. Is this enough for the nem to live without any direct feeding?

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nems all close up 80-95% at night. I run no wave makers, and rely on the return pump only for flow, although I do have 4 outlets in my 65.4 AIO. I also never have and never plan to feed the nems.

I’d give it time. As long as they don’t hide it may just be getting used to your tank nutrients and light.
IMG_2002.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, just recieved the nem today. It looks good but much smaller than the video I received of it. It’ll puff up into size again right? Heres a pic of it and the video the vendor sent. I put it near the top but it decided to walk down to this rock. I had to move the Rhodactis out of the way. Its foot was perfectly intact but it was out of the water for a few minutes. I don’t know how the mouth looks when it’s open/closed but it looks fine for just being an hour in. I am noticing that it’s sucking in its tentacles and bringing them out again every now and then; here’s a pic of them sucked in. I have no fish in the tank yet so it won’t be getting much food; when should I start to feed it and how often? I don’t plan on feeding it once I have fish. I’m currently target feeding and broadcast feeding very little reef roids to my coral.

IMG_3120.jpeg IMG_3122.jpeg IMG_3123.jpeg
It eats light. No need to do any special feeding as long as your nutrients are not super low.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just leave it alone for a week and let it get settled. It will expand and contract as it gets used to the tank. If you want to feed it after that, fine, but it's really not necessary... and besides, you don't really need it splitting in such a small tank when you're already having to move corals out of its way.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I increased the blues today and the anemone is still doing the same thing. It’s also either closed shut during night or very small.

I don’t have any fish in the tank yet and I’m only feeding coral food 2x a week. Is this enough for the nem to live without any direct feeding?
Test your nitrates and phosphates.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just leave it be and let it settle in. Feeding one that is already stressed from shipping is not a good idea. IMO the only food bubble tips need is light.
I agree with this. I don't feed nems until they've fully settled. If they go for a hike, I don't feed them till they settle again. I'd start feeding the krill once it has stayed put and is fully opening during the day.

But feeding isn't that important. I do it because I like feeding them. Good lights, good water and a cozy place to plant their foot is the most important in my opinion.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

What is your nitrate and phosphate levels?
Mine open always

IMG_0544.jpeg
IMG_0542.jpeg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snip
Like @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal stated proper light is more important than food. They arent that much different than coral. They need light, period. Feeding may or may not help but they don't need fed and won't suffer if you don't feed.

EDIT : I know you want to do right by the nem but really the best thing you can do is just leave it be and let it find a spot. If your set on feeding it I wouldn't even consider it untill it has attached and stayed in the same spot for at least a week.
This is my gang. Had these for 7 years or so. Flow seems to affect how they bubble. The one with less bubbles is in higher flow.
PXL_20240225_221708639.jpg

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 97 76.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back