Controllers

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started to look at controllers, and I'm focusing on the Apex (not the gold)...and considering the Apex Lite. I looked into the Reef Angel, but it appears the support isn't there.

My main concern is that what I've read the Apex should be hardwired to the router. That's not possible given where my tank is, and where the router is, but I can't imagine that many people have their tanks near their routers, who use controllers. I would need to get this set up wirelessly, but that's not something the controller is set up for. Would an adapter like a Netgear, or an XBox 360 adaptor work?

The question is, for a largely Fish Only system (with some softy corals down the line), is a pH probe necessary?

The more I am reading into it, I'm wondering if the Apex Jr, with an add-on of the 8 outlets wouldn't suffice my needs better than dropping $500 on the regular apex with 8 outlets.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the controllers we use have an Ethernet port. there has been success in using a Wifi gaming adapter to bring wifi to the controllers. I used one with my Reefkeeper for Years. DA has now launched the Archon which has Wifi built in. something to consider.

as for a fish only, for or any tank IMO, a PH meter is more of an indicator. I used mine to just look for any large swings.

Bow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The apex doesn't have to be hooked up directly to router. The gaming adaptor will work fine if it is in range. However for firmware updates do not use the gaming adaptor. Either get yourself a long enough patch cable to roll out, or there is a way to do it directly from a laptop. Long wore is easier for me

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef angel support is lacking? I have a reef angel controller and had absolutely no issues with support. The forums are great and all posts with questions were answered quickly. They even linked onto my labtop to personally help me setup my wifi router as I was having issues with port forwarding

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More and more I read about the Apex, I'll probably go with the Lite version. The Junior model fits the budget but only 5 controlled activities concerns me. Short term, yes it would work. Long term? I don't know.

Wouldn't mind picking up a used one, but we'll see. I'm sure there'll be memorial day sales or 4th of july sales.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to Neptune they are still offering 3 versions. Jr., Apex (I assume this the lite) and the gold

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex Gold and Apex are the same controller, if I'm not mistaken. I think the "Gold" part of that is just describing a particular package of the Apex.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the Apex can be run direct connected to the network or it can be run with a gaming adapter or bridge.

Yes the Apex Lite is discontinued.

Yes, the Apex Gold is a package that gives you the extra pieces necessary to monitor ORP and Salinity on top of Temp and pH. Doing so in the Gold package saves you about $50 over buying the pieces separately.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the good news is, I found a wire in the drop ceiling. Turns out it is an ethernet cable. I ran it with the coaxial and I can hardwire the controller when it's needed for firmware. I'll probably run it wirelessly day to day activity though.

Bow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can snake it down and give yourself a jack for it do it. Will make life a lot easier. I run mine off the netgear adaptor but I know hardwired is a lot more reliable. Plus then you only have to connect it once, and updates are real easy then

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can run it hardwired. Do it. People all the time think that they want wireless. Well if you had no other choice, its understandable, otherwise why would you introduce an extra variable?

Think about it this way, if you choose to fly on an airplane where the flight controls up front were connected to the tail via a wire or via 2.4Ghz wireless, which would you choose? What about having surgery and the monitors and life support were connected via 2.4Ghz to a room down the hall?

When it works, it's awesome. When you go away for the weekend and your HVAC craps out, Murphy will not be satisfied, he will have a go at your wireless as well!

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there's a jack, but it's 8-10' away, and would have a wire laying on the floor. Not overly aethetically pleasing.

will figure it out.

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights purchase, next up will be the controller purchase (not sure when).

Is the gold version worth it? Is monitoring the salinity and ORP vital to a new tank? With my ATO, the salinity (in theory) shouldn't move much at all. Just don't want to waste my money on some readings that I won't ever use (or at this point, know what they should be at or do).

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to break it to you, but the Lite is no longer in production (since last summer). You'll have to pick between the full and the Jr, but realize there's some hard restrictions on the Jr.

The comparison chart here should be helpful:
Neptune Systems Aquarium Controller & Monitor (AquaController) for pH, mV (ORP) and Temperature

What restictions does the Jr. Have?

I was always told it is just lacking certain parts which you can buy later if you need them.

Basically you can turn a Jr. into a Full Apex it will just cost you more money.

Or is there things you will never be able to have with the Jr. no matter how much money you spend?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What restictions does the Jr. Have?

I was always told it is just lacking certain parts which you can buy later if you need them.

Basically you can turn a Jr. into a Full Apex it will just cost you more money.

Or is there things you will never be able to have with the Jr. no matter how much money you spend?
More of the latter. Note the "Maximum AquaBus Modules" and "Datalogging" lines in the comparison table:

Maximum AquaBus Modules45240
Datalogging
(1,000s of entries)

(10,000s of entries)
There's no way around the 5 module limitation on the Jr.

RussM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no way around the 5 module limitation on the Jr.
There never was a 5-module limit; the limit actually used to be 4 Aquabus modules but the display didn't count. Starting in Apex firmware version 4.40 (release a few months ago), that limit is now 7 Aquabus modules (and displays still do not count).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 56 53.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.7%
Back