Gilroy 425g Build Thread (All Apex, all the time)

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the time has come to put together an official thread for the tank that has been in the planning stages for 18 months. My family moved to Gilroy from the SLC area when I took a position with Neptune Systems (offices in Morgan Hill, CA). Immediately after buying our house and walking through the front door my wife Nancy said "That's where the tank will go" as she pointed at this humongous wall in our large, high-ceilinged foyer. I told her "do you realize what sized tank I would need to go there to not make it look like a nano?". A couple of days later I taped down the outline on the floor and to this date the tape has not moved.

Fast forward to MACNA in FL that same year. We looked at many options for people to build the tank but for Nancy all it took was one look at the tanks from Reef Savvy and she never considered anything else - even if I waffled - mainly because of timeframe. So I started talking to Felix and for a year our schedules never worked out to make something happen. Next it was MACNA in Denver. Nancy again pestered Felix that we needed our Tank by Thanksgiving. He laughed. Christmas. He laughed. He finally promised end of year. Greatness cannot be rushed and our tank was finally delivered last month in a 9 foot, 1300 pound crate to my office (where it still sits today - unopened).

So, get to the details already Terence!

Here are some details:

- 425g - 96x32x32 Reef Savvy tank with 3 panels of Starphire 3/4" glass, phantom bottom, ABS inner floor, etc. etc. (I am sure Felix has a ton to add here)
- Tank has external ghost overflows
- Powder coated steel stand by Ocean's Edge in SLC (will be wrapped in Ipe wood)
- Equipment room will be in my "crawl space" (10' ceilings because my house is on a hill so how can it be called that) - I will be making this the "Fish Cave". It is 70' away and 10' below the display tank.
- Of course I will have tons of stuff controlled by one or more Apex from Neptune Systems.

At this point that is all that is certain on this build. I have ideas for some of the other equipment but have made no absolute decisions.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gilroy-425- 1 1.JPG
Gilroy-425- 2 1.JPG
Gilroy-425- 3 1.JPG
Gilroy-425- 1.JPG
Gilroy-425- 2.JPG
Gilroy-425- 4.JPG

Last edited:

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this is gonna be a great build! U have a lot of work ahead of you in that " crawl space" lol I just went thru that! Look forward to seeing the tank up on that stand as I'm sure u are! Following along.....

915MANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool project, did Reef Savvy make the stand too? Very cool build congrats

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are gonna need a good sized pressure rated pump for return. Prolly looking at a pool pump

There are a couple of internal DC options (yes, crazy huh?) and a couple of external that are low power and pressure rated. Still haven't made a decision which way to go.

jason g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also looking forward to this build. Is there any LFS in the Gilroy area? I pass through there often but never heard of any out there.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also looking forward to this build. Is there any LFS in the Gilroy area? I pass through there often but never heard of any out there.

Not that I know of. The nearest quality LFS I know of is Neptune Aquatics in San Jose - 40 minutes from my house.

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of town are you living in? No LFS shhhhhsh. Better move back buddy.

jason g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I know of. The nearest quality LFS I know of is Neptune Aquatics in San Jose - 40 minutes from my house.

I thought I was the only one who also drives 30minutes or more to a LFS. I live out in the country so I'm basically 30minutes from the city. I heard Neptune has a great selection of saltwater products.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I was the only one who also drives 30minutes or more to a LFS. I live out in the country so I'm basically 30minutes from the city. I heard Neptune has a great selection of saltwater products.

We don't even live out in the country. It's strange that we do not have another LFS either somewhere from South San Jose to Gilroy. There are a lot of people in that corridor and it would also pull from Hollister too.

Neptune Aquatics is first rate store and I recommend you to stop in there if you are in the area.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Terence! Nice to have you posting your new build. Looks like it's going to be an epic one at that. Following!

PS. Everyone this is Terence from Neptune Systems. ;)

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.2%
Back