Gilroy 425g Build Thread (All Apex, all the time)

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you going with the Digital Aquatics controller? I kid, I kid...:) I live about 60 miles from you! You're right, there is no LFS between Gilroy and San Jose (not counting Petco of course).

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote Abyzz on the return :wink:

That along with the new Red Dragon 230w are both choices. The Abyzz is serious coin though. Don't know if I can justify that. I really do like the idea of keeping those watts in the water though as the equipment is in an area that will be cool almost year round.

wikidd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice having you here Terence and nice setup you are building,am quite sure you will keep us delighted :)

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on the reeflo barracuda return pump??

Reeflo is the other choice. If I went that way I would likely have to go Hammerhead as I will be going up about 18'. I hate to have to go that way though as it is a waste of power/heat.

Ultimately I would like to stay with an internal pump if I can. . . but not many options with this much head pressure.

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the hammerhead on my 245 with 5 3/4 inch returns back to the display, it goes up about 9 feet from the basement, fairly quiet pump, peace of mind from the company's customer service and easy to work in if need be, I can't say I notice much heat from it here in Michigan, or watts on the electric bill, as our big tanks usually have a big price tag anyway... Good luck with the decision bro, look forward to more updates !

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull up a chair take your shoes off and relax, think this one is gonna be worth watching

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say I notice much heat from it here in Michigan, or watts on the electric bill

I actually want the heat as the equipment area is in an unheated area. That is why an internal would be great as the heat dissipation goes into the tank and means less power hearing it.

And, although I know there is a cost to big tanks, you live in Michigan where I doubt the power costs you 28-35 cents per kWh. That hammerhead alone would cost about $50-$75 per month here to run.

When I was in Utah power was less than half the cost so it really was not the factor it is here.

Also, what's wrong with having as green a tank as you can ;)

Reef Savvy

AQUARIUM BUILDERS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings, my fellow Neptunian friends! I can already see that this thread is going to be a lot of fun, and I can attest to everything you're saying. I remember it all very clearly and had a bit of a laugh when I read it. For the record, Nancy is awesome and was definitely not pestering me, she's just a very persuasive woman with extremely good taste :)

Quick clarification on the details, your tank does not have a Phantom Bottom, it has a standard bottom which we reinforced with a second layer of glass and topped off with a high impact ABS liner, so you do have 3 layers like the Phantom, but different materials for a different purpose. The Phantom Bottom is similar, but has an additional layer of closed cell PVC foam lining on the bottom, this allows you to rest your tank directly on a thin layer of black Neoprene or Polyethylene foam instead of the thicker white/pink foam, which is an eyesore for modern stands with no trim. In your case it doesn't matter because your stand will be fully trimmed, and the bottom will be concealed.

Thanks,

Felix

P.S. Be on the lookout for a box of goodies next week :)

Well, the time has come to put together an official thread for the tank that has been in the planning stages for 18 months. My family moved to Gilroy from the SLC area when I took a position with Neptune Systems (offices in Morgan Hill, CA). Immediately after buying our house and walking through the front door my wife Nancy said "That's where the tank will go" as she pointed at this humongous wall in our large, high-ceilinged foyer. I told her "do you realize what sized tank I would need to go there to not make it look like a nano?". A couple of days later I taped down the outline on the floor and to this date the tape has not moved.

Fast forward to MACNA in FL that same year. We looked at many options for people to build the tank but for Nancy all it took was one look at the tanks from Reef Savvy and she never considered anything else - even if I waffled - mainly because of timeframe. So I started talking to Felix and for a year our schedules never worked out to make something happen. Next it was MACNA in Denver. Nancy again pestered Felix that we needed our Tank by Thanksgiving. He laughed. Christmas. He laughed. He finally promised end of year. Greatness cannot be rushed and our tank was finally delivered last month in a 9 foot, 1300 pound crate to my office (where it still sits today - unopened).

So, get to the details already Terence!

Here are some details:

- 425g - 96x32x32 Reef Savvy tank with 3 panels of Starphire 3/4" glass, phantom bottom, ABS inner floor, etc. etc. (I am sure Felix has a ton to add here)
- Tank has external ghost overflows
- Powder coated steel stand by Ocean's Edge in SLC (will be wrapped in Ipe wood)
- Equipment room will be in my "crawl space" (10' ceilings because my house is on a hill so how can it be called that) - I will be making this the "Fish Cave". It is 70' away and 10' below the display tank.
- Of course I will have tons of stuff controlled by one or more Apex from Neptune Systems.

At this point that is all that is certain on this build. I have ideas for some of the other equipment but have made no absolute decisions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! I knew you set me up Felix. That's why I just left all those details to you.

Last night I got the plywood on the stand and almost have it ready to bring the tank home from my office, unveil it, and muscle all 1000 pounds of it to the stand!

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I found my sump and I am picking it up this weekend. Since this was going in the (under construction) Fish Cave, I knew I had tons of room so I wanted to never feel I did not have enough room to play. The "sump" is 92" x 48" x 20" - Fiberglass - will probably run it with ~180-200g. Lots of room for lots of ideas!

Screen Shot 2015-04-22 at 9.41.15 AM.jpg

Reef Savvy

AQUARIUM BUILDERS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, don't forget the foam!

Sweet! I knew you set me up Felix. That's why I just left all those details to you.

Last night I got the plywood on the stand and almost have it ready to bring the tank home from my office, unveil it, and muscle all 1000 pounds of it to the stand!

Reef Savvy

AQUARIUM BUILDERS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, not going to use the thin stuff. What would you recommend that I could easily get locally?

You should be able to get a 4' x 8' sheet of 1" white foam in any of the big box home improvement stores, it should be in the insulation department.

Felix

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to get a 4' x 8' sheet of 1" white foam in any of the big box home improvement stores, it should be in the insulation department.

Felix

That is what I figured (and have often seen used) but wanted to hear it straight from the builders (horses) mouth. Figured everyone here would want to know as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back