Is the juice worth the squeeze? thoughts on a new build...

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
curious to see what others thoughts are on this.

new tank build IM 200 peninsula its going to be a FOWLR focusing on butterflies and angels with a wrasse or two...

tanks was set up with man made rock and dry sand.
will cycled the tank with bottled bac. and ammonia
no coral frags will be introduced
all fish will be professionally QTed for over 1 month.

as I am a believer in bio diversity I was thinking of adding 20# of TBS base rock to the sump. maybe a rock or 2 in the DT for good measure for a month or two.

I am wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze... in other words is adding 20# of ocean LR going to make that much of a difference?

I will have to QT the LR for 6 weeks @ 81 that will give me time to get out all the hitchhikers that I dont want.
that means setting up yet another tank. fine more gear I have most of it.

just wanted to open up a discussion before I go through all the effort.

I think it worth while but what about you?

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some gulf live rock for my 12 gallon desk tank. It was the first time I purchased live rock in nearly 10 years. I would say it was absolutely worth it. Plenty of cool worms lots of oysters sponges and Halmaleda algae came on the rock. It added a lot of diversity and I still like looking at the oysters with a flashlight every once in a while.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think it was for me. I ordered 8 lbs of the premium rock so it could be UPS next day air. Total cost was about $167.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think it was for me. I ordered 8 lbs of the premium rock so it could be UPS next day air. Total cost was about $167.
I ordered the ground-shipped rock. All the rock I ordered a decade ago was shipped boat freight and it was still great. I was pretty happy with the ground-shipped rock.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size of tank did you add it to? was the point to seed your scape?

I had there rock years ago 75% was LR from TBS was used to make the scape the tank was very stable. only think I did not like about it was it was bulky, heavy and not easy to scape with.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size of tank did you add it to? was the point to seed your scape?

I had there rock years ago 75% was LR from TBS was used to make the scape the tank was very stable. only think I did not like about it was it was bulky, heavy and not easy to scape with.

It was to add bio diversity to a 100 gallon tank. That was going to "fix" my 2 year plus ugly stage. I tried that battled thru one type of dinos only to get another type along with an unknown gray algae. Decided to reset the tank and moved everything to a temporary tank. I started that with some live sand from aquabiomics and will move polyp-lab gensis rock from the temporary to the display to seed.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll sell some biodiverse mulm rock from my cryptic zone sump. It’s pure Fiji rock and tonga branch. It has lots of various sponges growing, some dusters, some worms, pods. might have some rehomed sexy shrimp, oh and PLENTY of good ole sump mulm

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 78.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back