Is there a particular fish that is expensive but is worth owning?

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3214.jpeg
Earl’s Fairy wrasse

Piqued

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All saltwater fish are expensive imo. Everyone has been in a fish store when the freshwater people have said I can’t do saltwater those saltwater fish are so expensive.

My first saltwater tank was 06-07. I think the cheapest fish I had back then was a green clown goby which was like 13.99.

I guess its all relative. But we already spend alot on just upkeep. Get what you want I say. Paid 15 bucks for my court jester goby last year and I love him. Paid $150 for a yellow eye cole tang I lost in 4 days…
Where did you get your Court Jester (Rainford's) goby? I love them, have trouble finding/keeping them.

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Whitetail Bristletooth Tang is the most expensive fish in my tank. They have gone up $100 in the past year at my LFS. My early thinking was that he’d be the showpiece of the tank. Now that I’ve had my tank for a while, while the Tang is pretty, I’d have to say my solar wrasse is the showpiece - love his colors and personality.

I’ve also wanted a marine betta - but with how they hide in the rocks all the time I haven’t pulled the trigger. Also, my display is only 75 gallons and with the Tang, Solar Wrasse and One Spot Foxface - not sure I can get another “larger” fish in there.

NCsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get your Court Jester (Rainford's) goby? I love them, have trouble finding/keeping them.
My local guy got him in. He had been sitting for a while after quarantine and was getting real skinny. Gave me a deal on him. He eats hair algae all day long in my tank. Just pulls little strands off one at a time. He has a bigger belly and his waste looks fine but he hasn’t shown any growth other than thicker across his back. Got him the week before thanksgiving last year.
IMG_4072.jpeg IMG_4149.jpeg

Cool little fish. Always out and about. Not even the mean ole possum messes with him.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My most expensive fish is a Biota Yellow Tang. It has grown quickly and colored up so definitely worth the splash color and contribution to algae control!

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local guy got him in. He had been sitting for a while after quarantine and was getting real skinny. Gave me a deal on him. He eats hair algae all day long in my tank. Just pulls little strands off one at a time. He has a bigger belly and his waste looks fine but he hasn’t shown any growth other than thicker across his back. Got him the week before thanksgiving last year.
IMG_4072.jpeg IMG_4149.jpeg

Cool little fish. Always out and about. Not even the mean ole possum messes with him.
Does you Rainsford Goby sift sand? I was thinking of picking one up from a LFS that has a few but my sand is coarse so am reluctant tk get any fish which may depend on sand sifting for food.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clarion Angel. My dream fish.

Sadly, I don’t own one (though I do have 7 large marine Angels, and they’re all spectacular).

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gem tang. favorite fish in the hobby, after midas blennies
Got my gem for $300; he was rehomed by someone getting out of the hobby and the owner of my LFS wanted it to go to someone with a large tank that he knew well.

This guy is awesome. He gets along with my two bonded yellows. It’s a dream come true!

NCsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does you Rainsford Goby sift sand? I was thinking of picking one up from a LFS that has a few but my sand is coarse so am reluctant tk get any fish which may depend on sand sifting for food.
Occasionally. I have Carribsea special grade. 99 percent of the time he is jerking/pulling hair algae on the rocks and on my macro algae. I could see how they starve in a clean tank. He doesn’t eat anything else.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clarion & Bandit angels, Calico or tri-color Scopas tang, wrought iron butterfly fish, male crosshatch trigger. All dream fish an working hard to own them,,,,,

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ribbon eel (rhinomuraena quaesita).
It's rather entertaining when company is over and she goes out of her tunnel for a swim. They just about jump out of their skin.
20240325_132340.jpg
Copperband butterfly. While not on the extreme price, it might be expensive getting a healthy one and the cost of food to get them to eat. Worth having? Yes! Beautiful, elegant, full of personality and the flips they do while searching live rock for food.
20240315_140808.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back