Why do you think corals are so expensive?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most expensive is my HG torch from SBB
IMG_4233.jpeg

My go to vendors: SBB, AquaSD, I’ve also found good deals from Zoanthids.com, and Riptide Aquaculture. Other vendors Living Reef Orlando, and TCK on occasion. Mind you I buy mainly during “live” sales when prices are lower.
You know... I had too.
IMG_4233.jpg

Poor clownfish doesn't deserve to be blurry.

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that this will not be an exact answer but still I would like to share my experience with prices here.
Where I live (overseas) There are maybe only 2 shops which have the prices that can be seen abroad.
Vendors here are more focused on fish, since corals are not being sold in high numbers that drives the prices down (also they are usually not being ordered in quite a few shops).
Fish are another case, they can only be sold at higher prices because they have to be ordered, thus making a dependency on the wholesale companies' values.
Additionaly freshwater aquariums are more popular.
This process leads to prices like: <$15-20 / medium-ish acropora frags and ~$50 for torches and large-medium acan colonies.

matt_work27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What vendor have you found to have the best deals and cheapest coral with a good variety?
Battle boxes from Battlecorals come with healthy corals at a great value. Also, the fraghouse corals big sales are good if you want to pick out each coral. And I honestly was pretty happy with my corals for gwcorals on ebay. If you constantly watch the local reefing forums you can find the coral you want at a steal (but that maybe take weeks/months).

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Online coral vendors do play a game where there is a near fictional retail price and the coral is more often on sale than not. Easy way for them to gauge demand and give the perception of a deal. if someone wants it for retail then that’s gravy.

There was a live sale over this past weekend. 4 polys of Rasta Zoas on sale for $36, regular price was $120 lol.
Nothing unique with Rasta’s. Been around and fairly fast growers.
Can’t beat a local frag swap for the best deals.

That said, +1 for AquaSD. They usually throw in a freebie.
I also like Pieces of the Ocean.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%

Back