Glass drilling

Striike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone done this? I am trying to set up an undrilled 75, but I want internal overflows. I want the holes on the back of the aquarium, and will be building an internal overflow on the upper back of the aquarium.

So, what I need are 2, 2 3/8" holes drilled, and 2 ~48" pieces of glass for the overflow box. I have thought of ordering a bit, and doing this myself, but I would rather a professional do it, if anyone has a good recommendation. I live in Soddy Daisy, so this side of the river is also a plus.
I already have the 75g tank, so am not interested in ordering one that is pre-drilled. Plus most of them have holes in the bottom.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think i remember someone saying that it was easier and cheaper to buy pre-drilled tanks. I dunno though. Someone will chime in.....

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled my own and made the box out of black acylic. Whrn drilling just go slow and kots of water on it. I made a bit guide out of plywood.

Glass is very heavy to use as the overflow box, someone broke the bottom of there tank using glass for the overflow. They thought it was glued in good, wasnt &nd fell breaking it and the bottom. Use acylic or a overflow kit.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it from a local acylic company, they cut it to size and I got the weld-on from them for around 40$. Company is called lustercraft its here in wichita ks. But just find a sign making or plastics shop and there sure to have it.

OP
OP
S

Striike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case anyone decides to try this in the future. Drilling the glass was actually pretty easy. I bought a glass hole saw online for about $30. Used plumbers putty to build a dam of water around the cut to keep heat down, and did a slow drill. The first hole took about 15 minutes, the second closer to 1 1/2 hours, probably because the bit got dulled. Patience is king here, but it is not that hard if anyone decides they want to do it. I would be very hesitant to drill anything over 3/8" thick.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is a glass company somewhere in Chatt that will drill the holes for you. Also if you do it yourself which is very easy, you need to use a water hose and let a continuous stream of water flow over the drilling spot.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back