Pinched mantle disease ID and treatment options.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I have seen lots of clams with pinched mantle "PM" and have helped countless hobbyists treat their clams to rid the PM. I figure it is time to post this article about what I have found to cause or "trigger" PM and what options there are for treating it. This is just my observations and there isn't any scientific proof to back my findings, just what I have seen work time in and time out.

So what is pinched mantle disease?

Pinched mantle disease is caused by a protozoan that can be deadly to clams if not treated properly. Back in 2009 - 20010 when Clams Direct was still under the ownership of Barry Neigut there was a study done on PM, mostly paid for by fellow hobbyists and the cause was pinpointed on the Perkinsus protozoan. You can read the full study written by Dr. David Basti, Deborah Bouchard and Barry Neigut here: Pinched Mantle Syndrome in Giant Clams.

What does pinched mantle disease look like?

This is one of my clams that I have had that had pinched mantle disease. You'll notice that the mantle is scrunched up and often rolled inwards in a pinched fashion.

IMG_2704.jpg

Causes of pinched mantle disease.

Pinched mantle disease can be triggered by many different things, but basically anything causing stress is a main factor. Many of the clams that we currently have in our home aquariums have the Perkinsus protozoan in them. But it is dormant just like our fish have the Ich dormant inside them too. Around 2005 to 2009 the clam market was flooded with Crocea's and Maxima's that were coming out of Vietnam and had PM wreaking havoc inside of them when they hit our tanks. This was due to poor collection and quarantine practices before they even hit the ground in the USA. Since then, the practices seem to have changed and it is fairly rare to see a clam with pinched mantle being offered for sale.

Once clams have been added to the home aquarium is when I've noticed that today's PM problems begin to occur. Improper acclimation to water parameters, water flow, and lighting intensities, fish and inverts who have developed a taste for clams, the use of Granular Ferric Oxide "GFO", and any other cause of stress to a clam can trigger the PM.

My tried and true method of treating pinched mantle disease.

Over the years, reef enthusiasts have learned the common misconception that the only way to treat PMD is with a twenty min fresh water dip. This is not true and more often than not you will cause more harm than good. A fresh water dip is extremely stressful and should only be done as a last resort.

My first step to treating PM is try and see what is triggering it and then remove the trigger. IE: if you have GFO, a nipping fish, stinging coral, etc remove it ASAP. Once that has been done I highly recommend running as much carbon as you are able to and push as much flow through it as you can. Once carbon is running, I change mine out every two days during the first week of treatment. After that, I change it every four days till the PM is no longer present. If running carbon doesn't make a change in appearance of the clam in one weeks time then I recommend doing a twenty min fresh water dip.

When I do a fresh water dip, all I do is take a bowl full of new RO/DI water, float it in the tank for ten to twenty minutes to equalize the temperature. Once the temperature is the same as the display tank's water, I place the clam fully submerged in the bowl of fresh water. Over the next fifteen to twenty minutes, I gently use a turkey baster and blow the water all over the clam to ensure a good washing of fresh water. Once done, I place the clam back into the display tank in the lowest stress location I can find.

I hope you have found this article helpful and if you have any further questions, please post them up and I and others will help where we can.

Last edited:
OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again, I cannot stress how helpful running carbon can be and to hold off on a fresh water dip till you have no other options.

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this thread, Skinz. I've been considering getting my first clam for some time and have been reading everything I can get my hands on. I just got one of the books that's referenced here and hope to get one soon......just not yet ready.

Again, thanks for the info.

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dipped a crocea clam 2 or 3 times and used the same method except I added just enough buffer to the ro/di to bring the ph up to 8. My clam seemed to do really well afterwards... not sure if he was stressed as I didn't ask him;) but he almost seemed to like it.

OurReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say a big THANKS to Skinz sending us a message about this treatment, our affected clams look 100% better! Still hanging out in QT for a while but all 3 are much happier!

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say a big THANKS to Skinz sending us a message about this treatment, our affected clams look 100% better! Still hanging out in QT for a while but all 3 are much happier!

Good to hear! Be sure to post a thread on them and show them off!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again, I cannot stress how helpful running carbon can be and to hold off on a fresh water dip till you have no other options.

Great article and indeed although it was originally thought that FW where the magic cure, you have IMO put your finger on the fact that it should be a treatment of last resort and not the first thing Hobbyists try.

Thanks for the excellent overview and all the detail and time you have taken to write all these Clam articles.

reefermadness55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got my first clam several months ago. and after the first couple weeks, it began to show what seemed like signs of PM. i had already done tons of research on this matter, this thread being one of them. I came across numerous threads and decided to attempt a TAP WATER dip. i know it sounds insane right? i couldnt believe that this wouldnt kill the clam, but it sounded like a good last resort and oddly enough seemed a better alternative at the time than doing an RO dip.

As i was terrified of dipping the clam or anything for that matter into tap water, of all things, i decided to wait another week or so changing carbon and monitoring the clam. the PM seemed to progress a bit more, and the clam did not look happy at all. in the thread i came across it said 15 mins if its not too severe, but that the farther the PM had progressed the less time you should dip the clam to reduce stress. and it said to do this tap water dip daily for several days i think maybe 4 or 5 days. it sounded insane.

i setup a small 10 gallon tank and filled it half way with tap water, added a heater, and an airstone, let it come up to the same temp as the DT and had similar ph. i nervously pulled the clam out of the DT and set him in the tap tank. :der: i decided 5 minutes was more than enough time as i was afraid of causing more harm than good. put him back in his spot in the DT. soon after he was back the way he was before the dip, and the next day, already looked a little better.

I was completely surprised that not only was it not dead, it really looked a bit better. so i dipped it again, for 10 minutes. and did another 10 minute dip the day after that i believe. But i only did it for 3 days. after that i just let him be, and the PM seemed to have disappeared almost completely. days after that i started seeing growth in the clam and new shell deposits for the first time. The clam has been growing at a mostly steady rate for months since then. Still only 3" at the max. its added 2 layers of scoots since that time.

now after 3 or 4 months it seems like he might have a very slight PM issue again, likely from parameter swings, but im thinking it may recover without a dip this time. i've just acquired a lot more coral since then and am still trying to keep up with my dosing, going through a lot of additives lately, and getting a lot of growth from all of the corals.:tongue:

RacingTiger03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO really, JUST changing carbon is a treatment? My new clam is showing some signs of pinched mantle, and it started getting worse yesterday. Changed out to fresh carbon last night, but just wanted to make sure there isn't a medication that should be used in conjunction with the carbon changes :)

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO really, JUST changing carbon is a treatment? My new clam is showing some signs of pinched mantle, and it started getting worse yesterday. Changed out to fresh carbon last night, but just wanted to make sure there isn't a medication that should be used in conjunction with the carbon changes :)

Yep just change carbon and change it often

RacingTiger03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Went and bought carbon last night so I can change it every other day for the first week with it sitting in a 250GPH chamber in a 55G tank. Hopefully I don't have to resort to the F/W dip

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks.

I'm having the same problem now and wondered if you can tell me if my clan has PM?

It's not extending and showing its fullmantle with inlet and outlet parts but some of the petals like parts of its mantle are exposed and do look pinched when they come out.

Take a look and let me know.
image.jpg

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3 of treatment, been running carbon and did a water change and its still coming out to feed but parts of its mantle look infected, showing mucus and withdrawn.

Dont want to do anything unless its a last resort, its muscle's are still strong and its closing up well. I have put some garlic oil in the water as i know bacteria etc dont like it.

Any advice?
DSC_6217.jpg
DSC_6218.jpg

DSC_6216.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back