light deprived tye dye mama

JDMREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently acquired a tye dye mama from a local reefer who was shutting his tank down. the shroom was up 75% of the way up on a 70g lit by 2 radion g3s. since transitioning into my 29g lit dimly by a kessil a160, it has really drooped over, long stalk reaching up, even draping over like the cap was too heavy. will the shroom eventually recover and adapt to my tank and light? should I move up up towards more light or leave it in lower par?

Bassett22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say, as long as it isn't shriveling up, to leave it and let it adapt. You can try to move it up to get it more light if you want but it sounds like the shroom is alive and surviving, so time will tell. Try dropping some food on it. sinking pellets or meaty thawed frozen foods. they will eat just like any other coral.

bfam4t6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I had a tank crash in which about 8 of those suckers melted on me, I had them pretty high up in a tank lit by a 6x24 ATI fixture. So, they can and certainly will thrive in higher lighting. Mine were getting decent flow too.

My advice would be to treat it like a non-light sensitive LPS. Give it as much light and flow as possible without bleaching it or making it blow away.

And yes, 2x on the feeding recommendation. They will indeed eat when they're hungry.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back