My RapidLED build

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to show this off mostly for how neatly the wiring turned out.

image.jpg

But I'm also really happy with the performance. I wasn't sure I'd be able to get good color distribution with the widely spaced emitters and was ready to scrap it for an aurora puck but it worked. There are three circuits and I don't have dimmers. One circuit is just the two outboard RB LEDs on a moonlight driver. The center two rows come on next and give a balanced roughly 12-14k look. The two outer rows give high noon punch and add mostly more blue getting the color temp closer to a 20k look.

I like using the warm whites instead of using the single red, green, and Amber diodes to balance the spectrum.

There are:
2 warm white
4 cool white
3 uv ( I eventually took the lenses out of these for better coverage)
4 blue
15 royal blue

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to very nice work, and very clean wiring job. Nice blend of emitters as well. Now we need to see some pics of it on the Reeftank.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
Velodog2

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone :)

I just have crappy iPhone pics that won't tell u anything about lighting color.

I think it could still use a little bit better spectrum spread down toward the red end. Nothing is ever perfect. But my corals seem to be coloring up more since I made the changes so I'm going to hang tight for a bit.

OP
OP
Velodog2

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really liking this light! The mix sounds blue-heavy but it really is nice and clean looking light. The white LEDs are so powerful compared to the blues that adding or subtracting a single emitter changes everything drastically. More whites with a dimmer would work also but why pay for power that you are just going to dial back? This mix is good.

Anyway my acros and other corals are coloring up and growing better and I'm happy with things right now.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back