20 Gallon Long RIMLESS Aquarium?

DailyKate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went on Craigslist... Yes I know... That was probably my first mistake. Anyways, I went on Craigslist and bought this 20 Gallon Rimless Glass Aquarium. The person I bought it from had said he removed the black rim that ran along the top himself and had it set up for several months as a Planted Aquarium until he decided he no longer wanted that setup. I bought the tank with the intentions of using it as a Saltwater Aquarium. More specifically a reef tank. Because of the fact that there is no rim along the top and that it was removed, I am not sure what will happen once I set it up as a salt water tank. I don't want to set it up and have it shatter into pieces. Does anyone know what I can do? I contacted the seller and they won't do a refund. Is there anywhere that sells rims I can put onto it or is there another way I can reinforce it to ensure that it doesn't shatter. I cleaned it out and wiped it down so it is perfectly clean. I am going to fill it with room temperature water to see if it leaks. I guess that will kind of be the test to put it to. Just want some options. Was going to hang onto it and use it as a frag tank later on down the line but I'm not sure. Called nearly every pet store in the area and they said throw it out. Any one else have suggestions?

Attached is 2 photos. The first is the planted aquarium he had it set up as, the second in how i have the tank now after having cleaned it out and wiped it down.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,479
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 2,469

jodah175

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd run with it. if it were a 20H, i'd be a bit worried, but with it only being 12" tall, you shouldn't have any problems. if you're very concerned, you could easily go to a glass shop, have them cut you 1x1/4" strips to silicone to the rim.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DailyKate

DailyKate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thank you! Yeah it is a pretty shallow tank. Worse comes to worse I'll turn it into a turtle tank.

tdo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done that personally on quite a few 20l tanks. You will be fine

OP
OP
DailyKate

DailyKate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I filled it with room temp water and it leaked in one corner. So I found it a new home. Currently being used as a lizard tank.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 37 74.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back