Framed Aquarium Rebuilding

LST3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When rebuilding a framed aquarium with a plastic bottom frame, do you need to have the glass all sitting in the base frame before you silicone it all together?
Or do you silicone all of the glass together, and then flip it over and silicone the base frame onto the assembled/cured glass tank?

Trying to figure out the work flow to have it done the best. I know that silicone won't stick to cured silicone.
I am planning on clamping the glass all together and squaring it all up. And then injecting the silicone into all of the joints. Seems by far the best way to do it.

Maybe set the frame down, fill the bottom grooves with silicone and then set the 4 sides down into it (while they are clamped together). Then, after setting the sides on, lower the bottom into the middle and silicone that in?

OP
OP
L

LST3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean corner pieces?

It would obviously be way easier if I could add the bottom afterwards. Would I need to trim off the excess silicone before adding the trim to it?

magallonbuckinbulls

Beers, Bulls, and Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the corners are one piece. Meaning the wrap around the corners, then they’re structural. You should go online and see some video on applying silicone. There trick and applicators you can make to help.

OP
OP
L

LST3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the corners are one piece. Meaning the wrap around the corners, then they’re structural. You should go online and see some video on applying silicone. There trick and applicators you can make to help.
The bottom on the tank I am wondering about is a one piece bottom. It goes around the whole bottom, including the corners.
It is a 215g tank (72" long, 24" wide, 29" deep) with 1/2" glass. The bottom is tempered, but nothing else on the tank is tempered.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back