GFO / Carbon reactor ?

uf_gators

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to get a reactor this weekend. My question is should I get just the single and either mix the GFO and Carbon together, or separate in the same unit. Or buy the dual and run GFO and Carbon separate from each other?

Also how much should I put in there of each one?
I have a 40 breeder with a 20L sump if that helps.

ZIGGY63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer dual just because you can replace one media at a time if need be and less of a mess. that's just me tho, as far as amounts I would look at the brs calculator. I would start out slow and build up to your recommended amount. you don't want to strip your water to quickly, patience is a virtue in this hobby.

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Chris!

I run a dual reactor set up, 2 TLF 150 reactors but I'd rather have a single reactor to save space. I only use 2 reactors because I can't fit both carbon and GFO in a single 150.

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
uf_gators

uf_gators

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been doing alot or reading and it seems alot of folks who have the brs reactors are having clogging issues. I went by aquatic and I think I might go with the synergy or next reef mr1. Reactor and get 2 that way I'm not wasting GFO when time to change carbon. And I can adjust the flow on both.

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use two single reactors. I'm using BRS reactors with no issues of being clogged.

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been doing alot or reading and it seems alot of folks who have the brs reactors are having clogging issues. I went by aquatic and I think I might go with the synergy or next reef mr1. Reactor and get 2 that way I'm not wasting GFO when time to change carbon. And I can adjust the flow on both.

I'd love to swap out my TLF reactors for a Synergy!

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the 1200 pump run both ?

I think so, I ran a MJ 1200 on the GFO (1 cup) and I had to dial it back so far the pump made an awful noise....So much it forced me to build a manifold.

OP
OP
uf_gators

uf_gators

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main reason for the purchase is, I have been fighting GHA for a year. This problem, never existed till I bought a ReefBreeders Proton 32. Even changed the stock white meds to 10k and 20k. No fix. just a few months back I sold it and got 2 Kessil 350w. I lost the control part, but I plan on getting a APEX in a couple weeks so no biggie.

Since then I have removed the sand bed I had for the past 2years,and now is BareBottom. My sump is just filter sock, which I change every 3 days. My Seaside Aquatics cs1 skimmer, and Foam pad then return pump back to Tank.

I have turned back lighting to 5-6 hours, and I just have 2 clowns ( which I feed now 1 cube of mysis a week ,rinsed with RO) (use to be 2 cubes). also mixed LPS and 2 months, and some softies. I lost all my coraline algae in the tank.

maybe my live rock is leaching it back or something. This Monday when I am off, I am going to take a stiff brush to the rocks and rinse, and soak my mp10s and scrub as well. I have even tried blackout for 4 days, but it still comes back.

I do and have been running a bag of chem pure elite, that is in the first chamber of the sump that has a small powerhead for water movement, but not directly on the bag.

I use RODI water from my LFS, and have even gone to 2 other stores to get RO. They use reef crystal salt. which I plan to change to red sea pro this coming week to buy from BRS.

Level wise : ph 7.8 always since day 1
alk 7.9
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
phos .04 on hannah checker ( api and red sea test kit says 0 ) go figure...lol
cal 420

Just a little info on what I am going through !

OP
OP
uf_gators

uf_gators

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SpectraPureMediaReactor1.jpg

I would like to know what these fittings are,and what size... I see this being a useful to run both GFO and Carbon on just 1 pump.

ZIGGY63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like maybe 3/8, but I'm still half asleep. I have found ace hardware off of Clinton hwy the best place to find fittings like that

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back