GFO / Carbon reactor ?

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am talking to a guy that is wanting to sell me a MR1 for 65.00 with a bag of gfo. That's not a bad deal. I'm not interested in it, so if you want I'll tell him to message you.

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise to stay away from the brs media reactors, they clog really easily, especially if you have an active algae issue. If the tank is crystal, they are great, but the clogging happens fast if not. I had one and that problem was persistent. I bought an MR1 after and it works like a charm. But it's big. I have a 60g and I only use small amounts of gfo that it looks very empty. My reason for getting it was ease of maintenance and I can carry it over to a future upgrade. If you plan on upgrading, it's a great purchase and will save you $ in the long run. If not upgrading, tlf 150 is much cheaper and will work really well. Another piece of advise is if you do get the mR1, if you use rowaphos, the granules get through the sponges a bit and will get into your tank, so maybe get a second more sense sponge to catch the particulates.

OP
OP
uf_gators

uf_gators

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, I did get me a reactor... Got the next reef MR1 with pump on sale.lol
Now just tring to get this rowaphos to stop clumping after a week to a block and sliding all the way to the top. ugh !
I have the flow at where it looks like a simmer , like where water is before the boil....

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run into the same problem. Usually it's because there is an air bubble under the lower pad, which I still have yet to figure out a way to eliminate this from happening when restarting the thing. Also as algae or gunk collects under the pad it helps push it up as well. Not sure how to stop this other than adding some sort of locking piece in the tube to keep the lower pad in place. When I have more time I'm going to try putting something in, but this is an annoying problem to have. Makes me wonder if the the TLF would have been better after all.

OP
OP
uf_gators

uf_gators

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run into the same problem. Usually it's because there is an air bubble under the lower pad, which I still have yet to figure out a way to eliminate this from happening when restarting the thing. Also as algae or gunk collects under the pad it helps push it up as well. Not sure how to stop this other than adding some sort of locking piece in the tube to keep the lower pad in place. When I have more time I'm going to try putting something in, but this is an annoying problem to have. Makes me wonder if the the TLF would have been better after all.
I have been fighting algae , due to phosphates I believe from the live rock from over time. Same set up basically from 2.5 years ago. Then I went from t5's to that reef breeders proton, and developed Gha , and fought it for a year. now I have Kessil (2) 350W, and almost back to normal.
I might need to do a rock scrub, and take out the plumbing for the drain, and return and soak it in a 50/50 vinegar bath. I have yet to do that, which may be my problem.

As for PH, in the 4.5 years of running my reef tank, the old one ,and this one. I have had the same PH 7.8 . and everything has been happy and growing. even all the corals I have sold to folks here. I am thinking of running a air line to the skimmer from outside. But now sure it would help or not. Since the hose will be about 15-20 feet...lol

Tenaculum

Padawan Learner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of the tlf reactors running in sequence off one pump. Gfo in one and carbon in the other. So far they do a great job.
82b94b5d324f9a998bfb4279b42622c7.jpg

I run the return line back into the filter sock just in case some Gfo gets out. I wonder though, as I write this, if I'm just not recontaminating the water by running it thru the dirty sock??

ajones2n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of the tlf reactors running in sequence off one pump. Gfo in one and carbon in the other. So far they do a great job.
82b94b5d324f9a998bfb4279b42622c7.jpg

I run the return line back into the filter sock just in case some Gfo gets out. I wonder though, as I write this, if I'm just not recontaminating the water by running it thru the dirty sock??

I have an mr1 shorty for gfo and tlf 150 for carbon run off one pump with two ball valves to control flow with no issues. I would assume you wouldn't be because the phosphates would still be bound to the gfo in the reactor. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but jmo.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 131 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back