Back to T5's for this guy...

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else made the switch back from LED to another type of lighting? If so please post your experiences and photo's too!

Lately I've been really battling my LED's when it comes to taking good photo's of my reef and the other day an opportunity came up that I couldn't pass on. A local reefer posted a 6 bulb ATI T5 setup for sale for a price that I couldn't pass on. So this past Friday my wife and I made a road trip and went to get the new light and along the way I delivered my old LED's to their new owner too.

Some of you are probably thinking why would you do a foolish thing like this? Well here are my main reasons.

1. I didn't like the lavender color everything had.
2. I feel that some of my Z's N P's were not exhibiting their true color potential with the LED's, especially the Hawaiian varieties.
3. I couldn't take pic's worth beans with the LED's.
4. I'm a lover of the T5's, I remember scraping all my funds together back when they first came out just to buy a 6 bulb TEK light and the huge difference it made from my compact florescent light fixtures. Ever since then I've loved them.

Here are some before and after shots, I'm still thinking of adding some supplemental LED strips down each side of the T5 fixture but I'm not positive yet.

LED FTS
1655703_816620001685630_1710044229_o.jpg

T5 FTS
1273662_836507536363543_850555375_o.jpg

Blue spot Squamosa clam, granted the before is top down and the after is from the front but you can see the difference.
1926252_814345368579760_7765990_o.jpg

1836647_836583833022580_78722729_o.jpg

Rainbow Wellso
1836740_804484399565857_1260049839_o.jpg

1401913_836583853022578_1118880190_o.jpg

Has anyone else made the switch back from LED to another type of lighting? If so please post your experiences and photo's too!

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be switching back as soon as I find the right fixture. I currently running leds looking for a t5 or hqi/t5 fixture. Just like the color they produce more then the leds

TruRacr314x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently upgrading from my 80 to a 180...once of my changes will be transitioning from LED to Metal Halide. I'm just not happy with the LEDs (AI SOLs) and I feel that I need to at least try something different. I believe that there are LEDs out there that can compete...but I just don't know enough about them to make it happen. I can just plug in MH's and it is what it is...no more worrying about %'s and colors.

You're tank looks almost instantly better!

CSJIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I had AI sol blues for close to a year and hated the morph of colors I had. I went to T5s and now I'm setting up a new 93 cube. I'm going back to halide. You're right about the fact that you don't need to change intensities, colors.... They are either on.. Or off. Simple and proven

Vmacisback

Vern McCalla
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed, i made the switch back to halide from LED. I really like my radions and wanted them to work as far as growth and color but the fact is they just didnt. I went back to whats proven and I can sleep a lot better at night, I think i will still add some LED Supplements for color but the Radium is by far the best bulb I have tried when it comes to growing SPS.

CKI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched from LEDs to a 6 bulb ATI fixture .... so far so good!

Masgatigata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched too. True color potential of corals with LEDs were lacking, IMO. Maybe in a few years, that will change. For now, Im running my 6bulb 54w ATI over my 55.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to say, honestly, your LED shots of FTS looks alot better than the T5 shots, coloration looks alot better to me. Also, what LEDs were you using that you got a lavender look to them??

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switched a month ago from my vertex illumina to t5 and couldn't be happier. LPS are puffier, the rims on my chalices are thicker, better PE on SPS. I do still have a reefbrite strip for that pop. 2 LFS in my area just did the same thing, one of which is WWC. WWC only has one tank, zoas and shrooms, with radions now. They even went with T5 with reef brites on their display tanks too.

ohio reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running a Apollo led 5000 and I'm okay with it. It's doing the job and my coral are growing but I like the look of t5 or halide better. I will be switching to a 6 bulb T5 unit when I can find one at a decent price.

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to say, honestly, your LED shots of FTS looks alot better than the T5 shots, coloration looks alot better to me. Also, what LEDs were you using that you got a lavender look to them??

I was using Evergrow type LED's. I'll admit some of the corals looked better under the LED's and I was having good growth but it just wasn't working for me.

reepher

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I caught this thread. Was just thinking about getting LED's but hate the pricing. T5 with some LED strips it is.

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 8 bulb ati t5 fixture and I have a kessil over my nano. I like the t5 over my display it's very natural light and produces great colors and I get really good growth from all my corals. Having said that I previously had a gen 2 radion and traded it in within a month. People that aren't even in the hobby would come over and comment how my new tank looked better but they liked the old light better. That was a sign to me that I wasn't just thinking that myself and I needed to make a change so back to t5 I went.

Now I've always been interested in kessils I had the opportunity to get one used at a great price and decide it would be perfect for my nano. I have friends that have radio pros and hydra 52, reef breeders, ocean artics, and the only one out of all of those I like is the radion pros as far as color goes. The thing is my kessil looks just as good over most of those tanks. I have many friends who would say no way kessils aren't good blah blah blah. I have taken my light since its so easy to move around and brought it to there house and put it right next to there lights same height and everything and gotten better color out of my light on there tanks. Now with kessils you need to go with the narrow beam with deeper tanks but the color it produces is the closest thing you will get to a mh bulb out of any light choice available and it dances across the water producing the best shimmer period. For my money kessil is the best for your money as far as LEDs are concerned. I think at some point all lights will get better but they have the best color going.

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard incredible reviews on the ATI T5 LED combo light. ...but boy does it come with a HUGE price tag.
I'd have to agree but not all of us have 1500$ or way more for a light fixture. Lol. My lfs has one on display and he keeps all his favorite corals in there.

Neptunes Bane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy does that speak volumes! Keeps his favorite corals under T5s.

I was at a local, high end, fish store yesterday. Told the owner i was starting a new system. He asked me about lighting and i told him T5. His response was, "Good you're not falling for the LED scam". He went into detail about LEDS and how their PAR value decreases dramatically over the course of a year. I wasn't buying any equipment from him so i don't see why he would lie.

I purchased my first ATI fixture a few months back. The growth, overall health, and color on my SPS corals is amazing. I NEVER had success with sps before with my LEDS.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 154 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back