Back to T5's for this guy...

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do respect some of the above poster's comments and or opinions but it's definitely getting deep enough to need hip boots on reading others. Facts are that photons are photons and does not matter the source, though LED's give us the capability to very accurately create precise blends of needed/wanted spectrum far better than either of other options. Back to my earlier comments stating that most all issues regarding LED's are due to lack of understanding even though all the needed information is easily accessible through this Forum and others. If LED fixture is labeled as a replacement for a 400w MH and you run it at a 100% or close to above a 40B and burn your Corals is this really a fault in the lighting...... NO! But most definitely a fault/failure with the operator. As for 'Full/Broad Spectrum' fixtures go there are several available that are at par (pun intended) or better than most brand new MH Lamps or T5 combo's but will not radically degrade in just 9-12 months. The 'RED' article was very limited and lacking in real life application, and for your information there is more Red spectrum in most MH and T5 setups. The one thing I did find very interesting and useful was their theory on Red Radiation possibly being a measuring tool for Coral to determine overall light intensity and adjust their photosynthetic cycle with.

We're all entitled to our own opinions and most definitely state mine frequently but wish we could get away from all this misinformation and hearsay on LED's in general as makes it very difficult for the people who really are interested in learning useful and factual information about them.

Lastly, really need to get Chris over to my place and Duane's; (trido) to see in person what LED's done correctly really is like.

Cheers, Todd

Todd, I had a 400w over my display with nice color and a radion g2 over my frag tank (same water) running acclimation mode for 6 weeks and never actually passing 50% intensity. I still managed to fade SPS under the LED. Please tell me how this was a "user error". I have seen this scenario on several local tanks from experienced SPS reefers as well. As you know, the higher end LED get pricey. I think it's a little absurd to drop a few K on lighting an then have to do your research to see why you are burning your SPS when you are already running these lights very dim.

On the other hand I have seen these same lights do pretty well on reefs. Only difference that I consistent saw was that the better reefs had higher nutrient levels and generally more zoox in their SPS (darker colors). There have been several cheaper LED fixtures with results that catch my eye, Evergrows in particular.

The point that I am really getting at is that there are many, many experienced reefers having bad experiences with LED. We would all love to reap the benefits of low heat, low operating cost, and low profile, but there is something negative that is not being address, deliberately ignored, or shunned of as user error. In the end, the results speak for themselves.

joshwaaaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went LED frist up on my tank, after about a year I swap to a 6x54w ATI sunpower. best decision with my tank yet frags which had just been sitting dormant holding color but not growing instantly started getting bigger and color just got better and better.

LED
LED.jpg

T5
T5.jpg

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todd, I had a 400w over my display with nice color and a radion g2 over my frag tank (same water) running acclimation mode for 6 weeks and never actually passing 50% intensity. I still managed to fade SPS under the LED. Please tell me how this was a "user error". I have seen this scenario on several local tanks from experienced SPS reefers as well. As you know, the higher end LED get pricey. I think it's a little absurd to drop a few K on lighting an then have to do your research to see why you are burning your SPS when you are already running these lights very dim.

On the other hand I have seen these same lights do pretty well on reefs. Only difference that I consistent saw was that the better reefs had higher nutrient levels and generally more zoox in their SPS (darker colors). There have been several cheaper LED fixtures with results that catch my eye, Evergrows in particular.

The point that I am really getting at is that there are many, many experienced reefers having bad experiences with LED. We would all love to reap the benefits of low heat, low operating cost, and low profile, but there is something negative that is not being address, deliberately ignored, or shunned of as user error. In the end, the results speak for themselves.

Like I mentioned before you gotta go radion pro if you go radion, Gen 2s don't compare so doesn't surprise me at all you switched.

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do respect some of the above poster's comments and or opinions but it's definitely getting deep enough to need hip boots on reading others. Facts are that photons are photons and does not matter the source, though LED's give us the capability to very accurately create precise blends of needed/wanted spectrum far better than either of other options. Back to my earlier comments stating that most all issues regarding LED's are due to lack of understanding even though all the needed information is easily accessible through this Forum and others. If LED fixture is labeled as a replacement for a 400w MH and you run it at a 100% or close to above a 40B and burn your Corals is this really a fault in the lighting...... NO! But most definitely a fault/failure with the operator. As for 'Full/Broad Spectrum' fixtures go there are several available that are at par (pun intended) or better than most brand new MH Lamps or T5 combo's but will not radically degrade in just 9-12 months. The 'RED' article was very limited and lacking in real life application, and for your information there is more Red spectrum in most MH and T5 setups. The one thing I did find very interesting and useful was their theory on Red Radiation possibly being a measuring tool for Coral to determine overall light intensity and adjust their photosynthetic cycle with.

We're all entitled to our own opinions and most definitely state mine frequently but wish we could get away from all this misinformation and hearsay on LED's in general as makes it very difficult for the people who really are interested in learning useful and factual information about them.

Lastly, really need to get Chris over to my place and Duane's; (trido) to see in person what LED's done correctly really is like.

Cheers, Todd

+1 Very well said!

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest problem to me with lighting is the whole acclimation to leds process you almost need a seperate tank to adjust new corals with. Aka the frag tank i know i sound like the i hate leds guy but really i know there the future its just that id like to see them address some of the issues that have been discussed in this thread burning corals acclimation hot spots. Im not saying i have the answers but i think we can all agree theres some work to be done on tje led front still

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Cheers, Todd

Excellent post! Very well-stated!

DGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried the AI Sol blues I was never really happy with my growth or coral colors.

Back to a good ole ATI 8 bulb dimmable sunpower and couldn't be happier. Corals look better everyday and the growth is much better.

kevin32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 1.5 years with LED..went back to t5s. I started with t5 Initially but gave in to LED trend. I'll give LED another try in a few years.

Back