plumbing full siphon system

sarces

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well im about to start a journey under a new 125 Gallons reef ready and im planning everything before i do anything just got the sump and i think im ready for the next part, Plumbing.
well im not sure if i have it all sorted out im posting a drawing of what my idea is. i am taking advice or critics, all would be appreciated.

20140403_221930.jpg

wuuzzzuuppp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice I like how you plan to put a manifold in for your reactors and such! One thing to note is check valves can fail. So if it's your only anti siphon device/set up you should check them regularly or set it up so when the return pump goes off you sump can hold all the water that it takes to break the siphon. One way is to move your over flows and returns close to the surface of the DT so when the power goes off it takes less water to break the siphon.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above post about the check valves. I have no personal experience with full siphon drain systems but the ones I have seen all implement an emergency drain incase the siphon fails. I may be missing it in your drawing. Like I said I have never used one only seen them on friends tanks.

OP
OP
S

sarces

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice I like how you plan to put a manifold in for your reactors and such! One thing to note is check valves can fail. So if it's your only anti siphon device/set up you should check them regularly or set it up so when the return pump goes off you sump can hold all the water that it takes to break the siphon. One way is to move your over flows and returns close to the surface of the DT so when the power goes off it takes less water to break the siphon.

Fully noted... now I am thinking actually not to use a check valve, the reason being I wanted the pvc tubing to be as close to the top of the stand as possible to be almost invisible that would not give me much room after the bulkhead to fit the valve.

OP
OP
S

sarces

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above post about the check valves. I have no personal experience with full siphon drain systems but the ones I have seen all implement an emergency drain incase the siphon fails. I may be missing it in your drawing. Like I said I have never used one only seen them on friends tanks.

also noted. Ive been runing a full siphon system for 2 years and even tho it hasnt failed me yet, that does not mean it isnt a possibility, but ill be ok with out an emergency drain, thanks for the suggestion.

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking plan. You want an emergency drain with a full siphon system. I your tank is not built yet ad 2 more holes for emergency drains. With that being said I would have the bottom of the tank tempered after holes are drilled. In your plan you have 2 valves on the return lines. i don't think those a necessary. You don't want to restrict water flow on the return side. You can get dc pump that is controllable if you want to control return rate. this is how i plumbed mine.
138784d1396638362-sumps-baffles-frankly-i-am-baffled-img_0034_2.jpg

OP
OP
S

sarces

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking plan. You want an emergency drain with a full siphon system. I your tank is not built yet ad 2 more holes for emergency drains. With that being said I would have the bottom of the tank tempered after holes are drilled. In your plan you have 2 valves on the return lines. i don't think those a necessary. You don't want to restrict water flow on the return side. You can get dc pump that is controllable if you want to control return rate. this is how i plumbed mine.
138784d1396638362-sumps-baffles-frankly-i-am-baffled-img_0034_2.jpg

Thanks mason I like ur setup... the reason I have the valves on the returns is for the reactos, the line on the right is almost a straight line and water would want to take the path of least resistance, so I heve it there to force it to the other side and the one on the left its just in case its needed... what do u think about the check valves are they needed. can they be put horizontally instead of vertically ??

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check valves will fail. My return plumbing will be above my water line. I used a sump size that can handle any overflow due to power failure. I dont know anything about check valves but, I have heard to many flood stories to use them on my tank. I found that y fitting at aquatic warehouse in san diego. In theory it will provide flow to my manifold without the use of a valve. I am hoping it works I really don't want to restrict return flow.

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check valves will fail. My return plumbing will be above my water line. I used a sump size that can handle any overflow due to power failure. I dont know anything about check valves but, I have heard to many flood stories to use them on my tank. I found that y fitting at aquatic warehouse in san diego. In theory it will provide flow to my manifold without the use of a valve. I am hoping it works I really don't want to restrict return flow.

update: just did a test run of plumbing and pump. That Y fitting worked great equal flow out of manifold and return. You should consider incorporating these into you build, and not use any valves to restrict or divert return flow to your manifold. Your pump will thank you for it : ). If you cant use them I would go with gate valves over ball valves.

OP
OP
S

sarces

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where I stand right now but im not thrilled about the 3 t's for reactors I was thinking in just leaving one and get a line out and split it so each has its flow and put a valve from a lock line..

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1398042653294.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398042653294.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 174
OP
OP
S

sarces

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: just did a test run of plumbing and pump. That Y fitting worked great equal flow out of manifold and return. You should consider incorporating these into you build, and not use any valves to restrict or divert return flow to your manifold. Your pump will thank you for it : ). If you cant use them I would go with gate valves over ball valves.

sounds like u got ur set up running by now im still have some doubts... the valves are in the lines just in case I need them.. I know that the more I restrict the flow the more work my pump does and last less... the reason I cant put a y in the system is coz I have 2 returns....

Last edited:

ethridge78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good I have been using a full siphon for a long time and love it and I don't use check valves I don't need them I have big enough sump and I run my return lines over the back and there not in the water much good luck on the build.

OP
OP
S

sarces

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good I have been using a full siphon for a long time and love it and I don't use check valves I don't need them I have big enough sump and I run my return lines over the back and there not in the water much good luck on the build.

do u have any pics of ur setup. I've kind of reach a wall here any inspiration will be appreciated

OP
OP
S

sarces

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I've been away for a while, my 125 has been set up and is doing great... ups and downs but more ups than downs but today I have a question in my set up pic I put the reactor off one of my return lines and now I found the water siphoning thru it down to the sum already had water overflowing from it. does anyone has an idea how to stop it??? With out doing a mayor change... I thought of putting a check valve in but it will not work since the flow follows that regular path. Thnx

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back