Sump Questions!

Malkyru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there!

I have a ten gallon nano tank that I started a couple months ago, and I have just enough room on the piece of furniture it sits on to consider adding a 5 gallon sump.
The thing is, I'd like to go as simple as possible with it, as I only really want it to house macro algae and to hold my brine shrimp hatchery (that is it's own separate self contained thing), since
takes up too much room and is a eyesore in my display tank, plus the clown fish didn't seem too pleased with its presence :p

What exactly is the bare minimum of what I'd need to make this work since those are basically the only two things (aside from throwing some additional liverock in there) that I really would like to have?

I also believe have plenty of flow in my tank between the koralia 425 and the aquaclear 30, so pump suggestions based on that would be great.

Just in case, here's additional info: just has a singe ocellaris clown, and emerald crab, a banded coral shrimp and a few blue legged hermits.
I want to add some manner of snail and then some soft corals down the line once everything is established and I upgrade my lighting.

Thanks a bunch for any advice/suggestions!

Attachments

• nanotank.jpg
    nanotank.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 134

newjack0000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
other than piping? you need:

in and out pumps
heater
maybe some mesh screening to keep shrimp from being sucked up.
lights for macro.

other than that everything else I would say is optional. I could be forgetting something. Its not 100% needed but a small skimmer would reduce WCs

salttanklife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hob overflow box and a return pump to send the water back. You can buy a small sump or try to make your own (it's best to make one with the dividers you want)

jose.j.vargas.18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a overflow from eBay they have for nano tanks as you going to have light in the sump I recommend plant some mangroves they are very helpful for the system.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even more simple build a diy HOB over flow from PVC pipe.

Use a plastic storage container

and a smaller container to put inside that container for the return pump/sump area.

buy and extra container, pvc pipe, pvc glue and play with it in your garage.

test:

1. stops draining under power out.

2. returns to normal operation with power return.

3. fail the overflow (block, break siphon) and insure the sump runs dry before the tank floods.

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/north-alabama-reef-club/36891-guy-want-beaslbob-trap.html

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/ne...ost-here/94561-if-i-dont-want-drill-tank.html

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back