Can I plumb a sump w an external pump w/o drilling ?

Reefpharmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am setting up a 300 and have a 90g aa sump. I would prefer not to drill it. If I was to have a external pump, can I use a upside down PVC U contraption to go up, over and down into the sump to draw water?
Is that a viable option or will it not be able to start back up after power stoppage ?

Chetrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible the only issue is if you loose suction you risk the possibility of burning up your pump. Most external pumps rely on gravity feed. However, say your sump is higher than the pump then when you get a power outage then the return line will stay full from the back flow of your returns or you can do one of them Urajoey PVC drain contraptions that seem to work pretty well. There are pros and cons yet it's possible.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I don't think it will start back up the siphon once the water is out of the line.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like a lot of things in reefing, it is possible, but not the best idea. It only creates a possible weak link in your system. Drilling the sump is the most reliable solution.

Why do you not want to drill the tank? Do you think you might reuse it for something else? If you are just apprehensive about drilling glass, it isn't that difficult to do.

OP
OP
Reefpharmer

Reefpharmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's Advanced acrylics sump. It's not that I may use it for something else but it's pricey so I'm not excited about drilling it

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An up and over type suction is possible but not safe so is not recommended. Drilling or using a submerged pump are the best, safest options.

Reef head

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out external pond pumps or ponds in general. They use leaf baskets to keep a prime but unsure about a vacuum break. I'm sure a check valve will help out.

OP
OP
Reefpharmer

Reefpharmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up buying a Laguna 2900 which I will place into the sump. Hopefully this will provide enough flow for four 3/4 inch sea swirls

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot place a centrifugal aquarium pump above the sump and expect it to work. They do not suck water up and will burn up the first time the check valve leaks back. The centerline of the pump suction must be below the sump water level to function reliably, a flooded suction or net positive suction head is required.

Submersing the pump in the sump is your best option if you do not want to drill the sump. In your case with an acrylic sump, drilling is very easy unlike a glass sump which can be tricky.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back