Sump plumbing help

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a tank with sump off martketplace yesterday. I have a 90g with sump now and the output tube in my 90g has a stetchy pipe that goes into the filter sock which makes it not so loud since it can sit in the water. This sump does not have that and it's horribly loud since the water has like a 6inch drop. I don't know how to fix it. It's plumbed with pvc pipe. The bottom has a black ring hopefully someone knows what Im talking about lol. I have never plumbed an overflow so dont know the specific terms sorry! 20240418_184103.jpg 20240418_184055.jpg
1713479997710947985587191104296.jpg

OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange... I bet there was a pipe that attached to the bottom of the black ledge.

1713480550081.png
Thats the area that is just a flat ring. Maybe it screws on like a nut but I havent tried to do that. I would like to attach a pipe there but dont know how to. Was wondering if one of those stretchy pipes would work I have no clue lol. I'd probably have to glue it or something

Chuck_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black piece is a bulkhead.
Thats the area that is just a flat ring. Maybe it screws on like a nut but I havent tried to do that. I would like to attach a pipe there but dont know how to. Was wondering if one of those stretchy pipes would work I have no clue lol. I'd probably have to glue it or something
The black piece is a bulkhead - it will have either a threaded or slip-fit connection on the underside. If it's slip-fit then you can put a short piece of PVC pipe into it, but try to avoid gluing it because if it's permanent then you will have a hard time getting the filter out. Fortunately with this part of the overflow gluing isn't necessary, and the slip fit should stay in place.

OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black piece is a bulkhead.

The black piece is a bulkhead - it will have either a threaded or slip-fit connection on the underside. If it's slip-fit then you can put a short piece of PVC pipe into it, but try to avoid gluing it because if it's permanent then you will have a hard time getting the filter out. Fortunately with this part of the overflow gluing isn't necessary, and the slip fit should stay in place.
Thank you so much!!! That worked!!

javajaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its amazing how many terrible sump designs there are out there like this where you have to stick some pipe in the sock to make it work (commercial and diy!). Anytime a drain is left to "drop water" it'll make noise and splash (resulting in salt creep everywhere). The better design is always to have the drain output submerged, then come up and over into a sock. The "pipe in the sock" is a workaround to basically do that...but then you have to work around it when changing socks.

OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its amazing how many terrible sump designs there are out there like this where you have to stick some pipe in the sock to make it work (commercial and diy!). Anytime a drain is left to "drop water" it'll make noise and splash (resulting in salt creep everywhere). The better design is always to have the drain output submerged, then come up and over into a sock. The "pipe in the sock" is a workaround to basically do that...but then you have to work around it when changing socks.
Yep that part will be annoying. Thats also how many 90g is set up when I got it used too so I dont know any better

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back