flow issues

OceanDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Northern New York. NORTHERN New York. haha
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any of you have seen my previous posts, it may look like I am a noob, and totally clueless. Not really, I'm just always on here getting second thoughts on what I do to make sure I'm not the only one trying to do it. :p

Anyway, I got a small frogspawn today thinking that I would have the right amount of flow (knowing they don't like high flow). After acclimation, I could not find any low flow area for it. My buddy who I was with told me not to use my powerhead and just use the flow coming from my filter (chemi-pure) and my skimmer. The only other corals in my tank are zoas and palys, but I was wondering if this really low-flow tank idea would be ok or is it problematic?

Thanks!

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my Jeboa puts out a ton of flow. I just pointed the pumps more towards the surface. I have a hammer on the sand and the flow is perfect.

Big Wave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is only 10 gallons, you may get away with just the flow from a filter and a skimmer. Euphyllia (frogspawn, hammers, torches) will get used to higher flow so long as it isn't tearing the flesh from the coral, but they are much more likely to develop sweeper tentacles in a high flow environment. 3dees is right on: pointing a powerhead up at the surface is a great way to disperse/reduce the flow.

Big Wave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That article is amazing; unfortunately you have to subscribe to Coral in order to read it online. If you Google "gyre flow aquarium" you should get the idea. I don't know if it's worth messing with gyre flow in a ten gallon, though.

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had thought it may be blocked... Bummer indeed. Also, I agree with Big Wave about the tank volume. I failed to catch that in your description. If you find that more flow is needed, Tunze has the NanoStream 6020 that looks really nice.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back