Plan for new filter on new tank

bobbyreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is my idea for a filter providing I get the 210 gallon tank that I'm looking at. The tank is 7 foot long so I'm hoping to take up most of underneath with this design of filter leaving room for the pump of coarse. Any thoughts on the design? Any suggestions? I tried to think it out pretty sensibly putting the refugium in front of the skimmer and the reactors last. It could always be changed. Let me know your thoughts. Sorry about the picture, it's a photo of my computer screen. I have this saved as a PDF on my computer. Thanks.

Attachments

• WP_20141020_004[1].jpg
    WP_20141020_004[1].jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 91

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. I recommend you check out the triton method that unique corals is introducing the US to. They use a sump design just like yours without filter socks and the skimmer after the refugium. They recommend a fuge 10-20% the display volume which gives enough flow you wouldn't need the powerhead in there.

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isnt the triton method dependent on lab testing of water in oder to add additives? Dont mean to poss hijack just have heard alot bout this.

OP
OP
bobbyreefs

bobbyreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I put the skimmer behind was to give the macro first shot at feeding off of the nutrients in the water before the skimmer and reactors got to it. I will look in to it. I see a lot of people saying to put the skimmer before it just doesn't make sense because it starves the macro I think. Totally open to opinions though and I appreciate them all. Thank you.

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are pros and cons to having the skimmer before or after the fuge. If it's before the fuge then the macros can remove whatever nutrient is left in the water and then the skimmer won't pull out pods and their eggs which can then go to the DT to feed corals. If it's after the fuge then, as you mentioned, the macro algae gets first crack at nutrient and the skimmer bats clean up but then some of the good stuff coming from the fuge will get pulled out by the skimmer, but not most of it. My system is more of a traditional setup with water going through filter socks then skimmer then fuge and I get good growth on my macro algae.

Back