Big boy skimmers!!!

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might, again might upgrade my swc 230 skimmer to a bigger skimmer that could handle the bio load (medium to heavy) intend to have someday soon. Any recommendations as to which ones? Just looking off the top of my head at sites, I keep looking at the new R.O. regal 300, but again just looking.

My plans for a system down the road for all that might advise me on their own opinion:
240g mixed reef
55g sump
50g fuge
Diy 2 part
Adding another tang or 2 more to my current ones
Adding a butterfly
Adding either anthias or chromis (about 13 or so)
Adding clams (probably around 4 or so)

Lmk what yall think if your running a big boy skimmer. Many thanks

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, these are some of the pics from my skimmer from playing in the dirty skimmer club! Obviously my skimmer is running without the bio load I intend to have.

Kyuss414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd take a serious look at the old school venturi style skimmers. Every time I see anyone post pics of theirs, they always seems to do an amazing job. To add to that, they usually will always comment how they are truly "set it and forget it" where you never have to mess with em once you got it dialed in. They also seem quite versatile with pumps as you can pretty much use whatever you want as long as the flow is appropriate for the size body you have.

In the dirty skimmer cup thread I commented on Rjramos with his MRC skimmer, his pics are a good example. I stated in there I'll personally be going MRC or LifeReef next time around which I have a feeling isn't that far down the road. Whatever you do, make sure the skimmer body is cell cast acrylic so you don't end up with a $500 skimmer that looks like this after barely over a year of use IMO.
cracks.jpg

Last edited:

azjohnny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd take a serious look at the old school venturi style skimmers. Every time I see anyone post pics of theirs, they always seems to do an amazing job. To add to that, they usually will always comment how they are truly "set it and forget it" where you never have to mess with em once you got it dialed in. They also seem quite versatile with pumps as you can pretty much use whatever you want as long as the flow is appropriate for the size body you have.

In the dirty skimmer cup thread I commented on Rjramos with his MRC skimmer, his pics are a good example. I stated in there I'll personally be going MRC or LifeReef next time around which I have a feeling isn't that far down the road. Whatever you do, make sure the skimmer body is cell cast acrylic so you don't end up with a $500 skimmer that looks like this after barely over a year of use IMO.
cracks.jpg

I have a Lifereef VS3-36 and easily the most maintenance free skimmer I have ever owned, The SRO skimmers in the past would require a weekly cleaning of the volute ( salt deposits)

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I deal with weekly cleanings of the volute now on my swc,lol. I'm looking up the 2 skimmers yall spoke about now. Thanks

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the ATI Powercones, was tempted to buy one during thanksgiving but didnt.

Kyuss414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol yup exactly, I have to keep the volute clean on my SRO as well otherwise it gets a calcium deposit that blocks the hole for the air, which is really quite small. It doesn't take much for it to throw off the balance though.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol yup exactly, I have to keep the volute clean on my SRO as well otherwise it gets a calcium deposit that blocks the hole for the air, which is really quite small. It doesn't take much for it to throw off the balance though.
Yep! I can actually hear the air intake pitch change as it builds up over a week! I have to use a stainless steel pair of tweezers to clean it.
So to get away from the volute get a deposit, we need the skimmers above I guess.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody think that my 230 is not going to handle a bioload that's larger than I have now? If I was to keep it, I'd have to add a neck cleaner to it for performance imo. Just been looking at all the skimmers out there, their lph pull on their pumps and reviews. Idk, maybe I'm crazy,lol. Maybe I should just skim wetter or possibly even place a skimmer stand in there with the skimmer. I've read so much that I learned having a deeper depth of water in the sump takes away from the pup's lph too. Lol, just rambling now!

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Brad, I'm also a SWC (200 Extreme with upgraded needle wheel) owner and have found it to be one the best or most efficient Skimmers I have ever worked with. Maybe even to productive at times for my ultra high bio-load mixed reef system (175 gallons overall). I have recently purchased the Vertex Omega 180i as a replacement though as it comes with a Ozone injection port and a bit smaller footprint that will serve better for new sump/fuge build. Power consumption and air draw are very comparable between the SWC, Vertex, AquaMaxx and Bubble Magus and a fair better than the RO Skimmers.
I am planning to add the Neck cleaner as well down the road as the new Vertex does not have the cup capacity of my SWC and will need more frequent cleaning/emptying.

Good luck with your decision Brad..... almost as challenging as putting together info on 'the best lighting' for a Reeftank.... lol

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, thanks Todd. Great post. I do love the swc 230 but can't quite pull the trigger. Especially since if I do go bigger, how's it gonna effect my 50g fuge growth? Too many factors, lol

eagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euroreef RS250. I just bought one for $100. The same skimmer as the new reef dynamics INS250. Oldie, but built tough. I'll upgrade the pump/recirc and it's gonna be a beast. There are some good deals out there if ya look around on these older skimmers. I guarantee they pull out just as much gunk as the latest and greatest.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euroreef RS250. I just bought one for $100. The same skimmer as the new reef dynamics INS250. Oldie, but built tough. I'll upgrade the pump/recirc and it's gonna be a beast. There are some good deals out there if ya look around on these older skimmers. I guarantee they pull out just as much gunk as the latest and greatest.
Thanks Eagle. I'm searching already,lol

eagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked these two up this week for $150. They were VERY dirty but a vinegar bath and they're back like new. I love the reef dynamics/euroreefs. They've never let me down. I'm gonna fit these with new pumps and they're proven to get the gunk out.

Attachments

• 1418692772498.jpg
    1418692772498.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 307

eagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and if you need or want any oem replacement parts Jeff at reef dynamics carries what u need for the older euroreefs. Your welcome. Good luck with it.

eagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to give ya an idea about what I call very dirty haha. I couldn't believe they mailed it like that, but I knew it'd clean up when I saw the pics.

Attachments

• 1418694344238.jpg
    1418694344238.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 298
OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, yeah dirty. The clean ones look great. I appreciate it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 42.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back