The Perfect Skimmer/s?

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R,

I personally have had to wait over a week for a replacement part on a skimmer to be shipped under warranty exchange, feel this method would avoid that problem.

All things being equal, and in a perfect world no hardware issues/failures ever (yeah right), would you all think it better to run redundant or even multiple (2, 3, or more) skimmers?

The skimmers would be identical in size and capacities, located close together in the same area of the sump (if internal), and be sized by half or less of the manufactures recommendations but would give you +1 skimming combined. This would mitigating the loss of one, allowing minimal skimming until a replacement has been vetted.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If money is not an issue have a spare skimmer is always a good idea. I have several skimmers ready to go at any time. But one could get by for a week or more with out a skimmer.

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If money is not an issue have a spare skimmer is always a good idea. I have several skimmers ready to go at any time. But one could get by for a week or more with out a skimmer.

I'm thinking more along the lines of running two at the same time, I have the space so that's
not a big deal but, want redundancy. Guess I'm trying to figure out if there are any draw backs to two and planning ahead if so.

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've definitely tried this and might go back to it. I bought a big used RO skimmer and added it with my SWC for about a week. Didn't see any drawbacks but it was only a week. Traded the used skimmer for more equipment. My swc is ok, but bigger would be better. Just so happens I found the exact model local and considering buying it (it's used and cheap) and running both in the sump. Just think of how much oxygen you'd have in the water with 2 big skimmers!

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have? Also if you have a 75g tank and got 1 skimmer for a 150 you would be good. But if you wanted 2 skimmers i'd just buy one for a 300g plus tank. I do believe that you can also get your water to clean and it will not create a good foam head to pull waste out.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm thinking more along the lines of running two at the same time, I have the space so that's
not a big deal but, want redundancy. Guess I'm trying to figure out if there are any draw backs to two and planning ahead if so.

I have ran two skimmers on a system and never found any benefit to it. Really had them cause less production than more production.
You are better off getting one good skimmer than two.

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've definitely tried this and might go back to it. I bought a big used RO skimmer and added it with my SWC for about a week. Didn't see any drawbacks but it was only a week. Traded the used skimmer for more equipment. My swc is ok, but bigger would be better. Just so happens I found the exact model local and considering buying it (it's used and cheap) and running both in the sump. Just think of how much oxygen you'd have in the water with 2 big skimmers!

Thank you for that information.

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have? Also if you have a 75g tank and got 1 skimmer for a 150 you would be good. But if you wanted 2 skimmers i'd just buy one for a 300g plus tank. I do believe that you can also get your water to clean and it will not create a good foam head to pull waste out.

3 tanks all into one sump, total water volume is close to 400 gallon...

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my skimmer down for a month and tank never looked better :p.

One additional concern is lack of oxygen exchange... I know most true exchange happens at the waters surface but it's still aided by the skimmer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ran two skimmers on a system and never found any benefit to it. Really had them cause less production than more production.
You are better off getting one good skimmer than two.

Noted, and Thank you... what size was the tank? and what skimmers did you have?

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 skimmers at one will let them iddle most of the time and more waste on the neck of the cup.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The perfect skimmer? LifeReef! :cheer2:

And there is really nothing on it to break.
If your pump dies, just go down to your LFS and buy a new one or have one shipped from Amazon, two day free prime shipping. ;)
It skims so well that a couple days of no skimming ain't gonna do diddly squat.

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The perfect skimmer? LifeReef! :cheer2:

And there is really nothing on it to break.
If your pump dies, just go down to your LFS and buy a new one or have one shipped from Amazon, two day free prime shipping. ;)
It skims so well that a couple days of no skimming ain't gonna do diddly squat.

Sup Dennis, I was thinking about PMing you about your LifeReef skimmer and getting your opinion... What sold you on it?
Thx,
A--

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sup Dennis, I was thinking about PMing you about your LifeReef skimmer and getting your opinion... What sold you on it?
Thx,
A--

You can see my review here on his website... the one from january 2014.
Testimonials
Plus lots of other reviews.

But in a nutshell, everything he lists on his website is dead nuts true.
Jeff comes off a little conceited to some people but most of what he writes on his website is just plain fact and he's not afraid to tell it like it is.
So if you can get past any feelings you might have that it's a bunch of marketing, I think you'll be pleased to find out your experience follows it to a tee.
http://lifereef.com/venturi.html

And although it may seem like it, I'm not a fanboy. ;)
I have his CaRx too, and honestly I find it to be "ok". I would love to try a Geo or even an MTC.
And I'm hoping this new sump and fuge work out well.
But he really nailed his skimmer design.
Plus you get a 10 year warranty, and its manufactured right here in the USA by Jeff himself.
You can also add an extension if you outgrow it, you can add an ozone kit, larger diameter cup, different pumps...

The only downsides is two things... 1) The pumps can eat up more juice. People have tried DC pumps but I dunno that they are consistent enough. And 2) they can be a little tall depending on your stand.
Oh, and 3) they go out of stock quick!

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see my review here on his website... the one from january 2014.
Testimonials
Plus lots of other reviews.

But in a nutshell, everything he lists on his website is dead nuts true.
Jeff comes off a little conceited to some people but most of what he writes on his website is just plain fact and he's not afraid to tell it like it is.
So if you can get past any feelings you might have that it's a bunch of marketing, I think you'll be pleased to find out your experience follows it to a tee.
Protein skimmer, ozone, skimmer, venturi, in-sump, hang-on, Euro, stand-alone. downdraft, needle-wheel, protein

And although it may seem like it, I'm not a fanboy. ;)
I have his CaRx too, and honestly I find it to be "ok". I would love to try a Geo or even an MTC.
And I'm hoping this new sump and fuge work out well.
But he really nailed his skimmer design.
Plus you get a 10 year warranty, and its manufactured right here in the USA by Jeff himself.
You can also add an extension if you outgrow it, you can add an ozone kit, larger diameter cup, different pumps...

The only downsides is two things... 1) The pumps can eat up more juice. People have tried DC pumps but I dunno that they are consistent enough. And 2) they can be a little tall depending on your stand.
Oh, and 3) they go out of stock quick!

Just read the review... I'll call Jeff and see what we can come up with... thx man!

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I'm also going to order an additional pump just in case... lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back