What T-5 Fixture to get for my 90 gal or go LED

MPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to choose between going all LED which i have now and some corals doing well others not so well mostly LPS. polp's chalices no SPS This is a hard thing to chose. I was thinking of going 6 buld 36 in ATI with RB blue strip add on. any thoughts or help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I was in the same situation and finally went with both!!! My ideal fixture or better "dream" fixture was the new ATI T5 plus two LED clusters of 75w each, they run in my size 36" for around $1,400. Way out from my budget so went with the ATI dimmable fixture with 6 bulb and added two DIY rapid Led lines with 6 Royal Blue and 6 blue on each side. The ati fixture is On for six hours in between 11:45 am and 5:45 and the Leds start at 9:30am until 11:45 then T5's goes On then Leds back to ON at 5:30 pm until 9:30pm. Then one Royal blue on each side goes on for moon lights. My corals are crazy growing and the colors can't complain, my friends says that are the brightest colors from all of us with tanks, I see them great.
T5's plus LED's is far the best combo for color and growth, that's why most famous builders and breeders are going that route!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck.:tea:

tofucube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go T5/LED combo if it's within your budget or if you have the real estate above the tank to mount both. If you go with the regular T5 fixture then you can use the LED as ramp up/down effect. You can run one actinic bulb to get the pop in colors but hard to beat LED. I've ran ATI/Kessil combo in the past and that was by far my all time favorite lighting combo.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back