new to saltwater.. a quick question

cisc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you please.. :p

I am converting a 55g freshwater tank to marine. I have moved the fish to the bedroom tank.
I have 40 pounds of live sand on it way, as well as 40-50lbs of live rock from dr foster. I also have a 1200 gph powerhead and a rodi unit.

I want to make this a FOWLR, a pair of clowns and other fish as well.

my main question is tis, I have 2 bio wheel 350's.. should I include one on the marine tank since I dont have a skimmer? maybe to get some circulation at the top of the tank?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a 55 gal. tank for 9 years with HOB skimmer and a bio wheel with carbon filters. Changed the filters every two weeks and 10% of the water every week. I used two power heads and had a five inch sand bed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cisc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a 55 gal. tank for 9 years with HOB skimmer and a bio wheel with carbon filters. Changed the filters every two weeks and 10% of the water every week. I used two power heads and had a five inch sand bed.

So, with my setup, should I add the bio wheel? Or will the live rock /sand be enough?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's your choice. I preferred to have the added mechanical (filter) and chemical (carbon) filtration. I'd highly suggest a skimmer be added.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without using the skimmer, your going to have to change out more than the usual water amount, the bio wheel will help some, but not really a huge help.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The live rock will do most of your filtration, but I would add the bio-wheel that way you can put a piece of reticulated sponge or something in there for mechanical filtration. You can also place a bag of activated carbon , purigen, chemipure elite, phosban or what ever type of chemical filtration you would like to add in the pumps compartment. IMO multiple methods of nutrient export is key.
So, with my setup, should I add the bio wheel? Or will the live rock /sand be enough?

OP
OP
C

cisc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broke down and bought
a reef octopus classic 100 HOB skimmer.. I am running It and a bio wheel 350.
Is the bio wheel still necessary?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the last three posts said, it will help you with the mechanical and chemical filtration. Good choice on the skimmer, you won't regret it.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back