gatorkeeper02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I've been lurking on this site for years now when I started my aquarium two years ago, I have always had intentions of upgrading my 29g tall indopacific live rock fish only to a reef tank but until now didn't have the funds. The original tank was a threft from good will I picked up for only 20 bucks. It curently houses a pair of occelarris, a diamond watchman goby, and misc. clean up crew including blue legged hermits, mexican turbo snails, a single scarlet hermit and one emerald crab. I recently splurged alittle on an early black friday sale and bought a fluval AIO 32.5g. I have numerous questions that I want opions on as well as any trusted sources of information I might not already use. I'm looking to move as many of my animals from the old tank into the current one but the main goal of the new tank is coral. I've also already purchased the Fluva Sea PS1 protien skimmer.

As for intial questions I would love:

Stocking Ideas for beginer hardy coral (my experience for aquaria is in live planted freshwater tanks I've never done coral)

How much sand and live rock to use in this set up to maximise space for coral and have a decent sand bed for my goby.

Recomended clean up crews (both species and number of individuals)

One addtional fish to add to the system, preferably flashier than the current residents. I've been thinking about six lined wrasse but really would love a pygmy angel but am worried its to small.

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LPS corals are much less demanding. Some good starting corals might be Duncan coral, Candy cane coral and Zoas. Check out the BRS 52week series of short videos.
A decent sand bed for gobies or sand sleeping Wrasses is anywhere from 1.5" to 3", my Melanurus Wrasse does fine with just under 2".

20230604_203550.gif

Attachments

• 20230604_203550.gif
    20230604_203550.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 18

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I've been lurking on this site for years now when I started my aquarium two years ago, I have always had intentions of upgrading my 29g tall indopacific live rock fish only to a reef tank but until now didn't have the funds. The original tank was a threft from good will I picked up for only 20 bucks. It curently houses a pair of occelarris, a diamond watchman goby, and misc. clean up crew including blue legged hermits, mexican turbo snails, a single scarlet hermit and one emerald crab. I recently splurged alittle on an early black friday sale and bought a fluval AIO 32.5g. I have numerous questions that I want opions on as well as any trusted sources of information I might not already use. I'm looking to move as many of my animals from the old tank into the current one but the main goal of the new tank is coral. I've also already purchased the Fluva Sea PS1 protien skimmer.

As for intial questions I would love:

Stocking Ideas for beginer hardy coral (my experience for aquaria is in live planted freshwater tanks I've never done coral)

How much sand and live rock to use in this set up to maximise space for coral and have a decent sand bed for my goby.

Recomended clean up crews (both species and number of individuals)

One addtional fish to add to the system, preferably flashier than the current residents. I've been thinking about six lined wrasse but really would love a pygmy angel but am worried its to small.
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Good to hear your coming around to the community! Congrats on your new adventure, some beginner hardy coral would be devils hands, leather corals, green star polyps, zoanthids, and blue mushrooms. Your sand bed should probably be 1-2 inches, for clean up crews urchins, and emerald crabs are very good for that, finally one additional fish to add to the system, a few options: Royal grammas, court jester gobies, and a six line wrasse. Of course there are more but I was just naming a few popular ones, six lines are quite flashy and energetic in my opinion you should get one of those.
welcometuna.gif

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back