really impressed! Maxspect Gyre XF150

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after much research and watching just about every youtube video I took the plunge and bought a XF150. I have a 200g 48x33x30 and for water movement I have a closed loop system that pulls water from the center of the tank and then pushes it out two vertical PVC pipes in the back by the overflow box which is mounted in the middle plus a Tuenze powerhead mounted on one side. These were controlled by my RKE so they alternated and overlapped run times throughout the day. One thing I noticed that always bothered me is these two systems never did a good job of blowing the detritus off the bottom and getting it to the top of the tank so the overflow could capture it for removal by a micron sock in the sump. During my water changes I noticed I was vacuuming up lots of detritus and in order to keep my rocks clean, once I week I would blow them off using a powerhead mounted to a broom handle. The rocks always seemed to capture a lot of crap and a few months back the evil GHA started to appear. I'm not a expert but my thoughts where I have a nutrient export problem because so much stuff was settling in the tank and not making it to the filter.

Looking at the videos it appeared that a XF150 could do the trick in moving more water and more importantly, moving water across the sand bed to lift the detritus off the bottom and suspend it into the water column. I've been in the hobby long enough to be wary of the newest fad or latest amazing equipment that get released around Christmas time each year. So after a couple of months of reading really positive reviews on the forums I took the plunge and ordered a XF150 from marinedepot.com. It arrived and I installed it on one side of the tank so it blows across the width of the tank and hooked it up to my RKE and programed it to run in alternating mode at 80% power forward and 100% power in reverse and 20 minutes on/ 10 minutes off during the day light cycle.

The first thing I noticed was this thing moves a lot and I mean A LOT of water!!!! So much so that I quickly dialed the forward speed down to 60% because I thought my fat, out of shape Tangs were going to have a heart attack trying to swim against 80% current! The next thing I noticed was the water column was totally full of detritus and the water currently bouncing off the far side was doing straight down the far wall and raking across the sand bed. It was pretty amazing to see so much stuff rising off the sand bed and now making it's way up to the overflow. I quickly realized that the Tuenze powerhead is no longer needed and I'm not sure I really need the closed loop system but needless to say I'd have to drain the tank to properly remove it. The rocks were also giving up detritus that had settled on them and basically my tank was cloudy for the next 4 hours as all this stuff slow filtered out via the micron sock. I still think I'll need to blow the rocks off using the powerhead/ broom handle because I have BRS Pukani rocks with deep crevices but maybe I'll have to do it less often.

so to sum it up.... best $300.00 bucks I've ever spent on a new gadget for the tank! If you are sitting on the sidelines wondering if it's really worth it then I hope my review helps in your decision making process.

If I were to do it again I'd probably order two XF130s and set them up on opposite sides so my RKE could alternate back and forth using pulse mode every 1-2 minutes. Willing to bet that set up would provide killer wave type action and would keep my Pukani rocks super clean.
[h=2][/h]

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that review! I too just took the plunge and bought one. Should arrive at my house in the next couple days :)

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my reaction to it as well. I got rid of my vortechs instantly. 1 XF150 is all I need now (replaced 2 vortechs).

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make sure you hook the gyro first to the controller and then plug in the power. I lost 30 minutes of my life wondering why the heck the stupid thing wasn't working until I checked the forums and someone else posted this tip :bigsmile:

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was the Vortech sales guy I'd be crapping myself right now and it now makes sense to me as to why they drastically cut their prices. The upside is I just might buy a used MP40 if it's super cheap and put it on the opposite side of the Gyre to alternate back and forth. :xd:

ghostman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was immediately impressed by the power of the gyre too. I have it placed horizontally between the overflows of my cube. The laminar flow goes over the peninsula of SPS and they love it. The moment I turned it on, a cloud of detritus and other gunk came off the bottom and into the water column. My tank looks cleaner, my SPS have greater polyp extension, and my gyre with the new mounts is dead quiet. If they make a better controller or Apex compatibility, this is a very clear winner as the best pump for my tank.

FoD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are numerous threads all over the internet about poor build quality of the first run 150's. Maxspect/CoralVue are addressing this by SELLING replacement upgraded parts on their cheap Chinese pump. All four of my props broke within 3 months. No snails or intruding objects caused these malfunctions...just plain and simple poor quality. I personally witnessed 2 props bind and snap due to vibration (I assume), caused by play in the bearings. I did like the flow patterns of this pump and the design is revolutionary. I refuse to pay for "fixes" to their **** poor quality/design. If they could build units with any sort of quality, then I would try again. I'll take my MP40's right now though.

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine in November last year and it has been dead silent at 60-70% pwr on pulse and have had zero issues with impellers. And i have snails and they crawl all over it.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had any issues with mine either (so far). It has been running several months but only on 10% power.....so obviously it is very quiet lol.

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are numerous threads all over the internet about poor build quality of the first run 150's. Maxspect/CoralVue are addressing this by SELLING replacement upgraded parts on their cheap Chinese pump. All four of my props broke within 3 months. No snails or intruding objects caused these malfunctions...just plain and simple poor quality. I personally witnessed 2 props bind and snap due to vibration (I assume), caused by play in the bearings. I did like the flow patterns of this pump and the design is revolutionary. I refuse to pay for "fixes" to their **** poor quality/design. If they could build units with any sort of quality, then I would try again. I'll take my MP40's right now though.

It sucks that you had this experience, but I really feel that this is the exception, not the rule.

It seems like the vast majority (myself included) have had nothing but positive experiences with these pumps.

I find it funny that people are bashing Maxspect for releasing new/better parts (I just picked up the new magnet mount and am blown away by how quiet it is) all while EcoTech's big announcement was that they made their pumps quieter (my MP-10 is easily the loudest thing on my tank) and they renamed long-pulse to Gyre (clever, right?).

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'll definitely keep a look out for these issues, thanks for sharing!

Mercurio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

After having the pump for 2 days and not one but BOTH rotors breaking (guessing due to vibration since no snails were found) I'm going to have to agree. I have a ticket in now to see if they are going to replace my rotors for free since I now basically have a $300 paperweight. Also would like to add that I was very disappointed at the flow on the opposite side of my tank. I had it on full blast and my millepora's polyps was barely moving.

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm keeping a close eye on my gyre based on a couple of recent posts. I noticed yesterday it's started to make a faint humming noise so I hope it's not a sign of bad things to come.... what makes me question this theory is it was nearly silent the first three days so if it's breaking in wouldn't it be the nosiest when it's first turned one? keeping my fingers crossed I did just buy a 300 dollar paper weight :eek:hwell:

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine in the mail the other day, had it in my tank for a day so far and its silent as can be at 60%... Haven't had it any higher.

Mercurio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm keeping a close eye on my gyre based on a couple of recent posts. I noticed yesterday it's started to make a faint humming noise so I hope it's not a sign of bad things to come.... what makes me question this theory is it was nearly silent the first three days so if it's breaking in wouldn't it be the nosiest when it's first turned one? keeping my fingers crossed I did just buy a 300 dollar paper weight :eek:hwell:

Mine started humming really loud before it broke. I hope it's not the same issue for you as well :(.

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after having mine run for several days, I'm noticing a hum at higher speeds. Definitely noticeable but only if the room is dead quiet. I'm wondering if I should get the new magnet to absorb the noise. Since I bought mine used, I don't know if it was replaced or not. Will have to look into that. Otherwise, this thing is a beast.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back