Deepwater Coral ID Help

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my clients added this coral to their tank about 3 months ago. The shop just said it was a deepwater coral. We put it under a shelf with no direct light. I was skeptical, but it hasn't receded or died. Anyone have a genus for this coral?
20240510_114516.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
IntrinsicReef

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a lace coral. Most are dead before they ever make it to a display. It should have tiny polyps all over it.
Thank you. I looked it up and according to Jake Adams " Distichopora has a near zero survival rate in captivity. " No wonder I hadn't seen them. That tank gets fed Oyster Feast, Phyto and Reef Roids. I'll be curious how long it lasts

Coral Freak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I looked it up and according to Jake Adams " Distichopora has a near zero survival rate in captivity. " No wonder I hadn't seen them. That tank gets fed Oyster Feast, Phyto and Reef Roids. I'll be curious how long it lasts
No problem, in all likelihood it’s already dead. They won’t turn white like most corals do. Hopefully not and who knows you could be the exception to get one to live. It’s worth a shot.

OP
OP
IntrinsicReef

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, in all likelihood it’s already dead. They won’t turn white like most corals do. Hopefully not and who knows you could be the exception to get one to live. It’s worth a shot.
You might be right. I have no experience with them. I assumed because it didn't change color or grow algae on the skeleton, it was alive. I haven't seen any polyps though, so maybe it's just a decorative skeleton at this point.

OP
OP
IntrinsicReef

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked at aquarium stores 25 years ago and saw a lot of stuff imported that had a 0% survivability rate. It's kind of a shame to still see that. I understand husbandry advances are made and people want to try their hand. But, selling animals that have no history of survival to anyone that walks in the store probably isn't the best look for our industry.

Coral Freak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked at aquarium stores 25 years ago and saw a lot of stuff imported that had a 0% survivability rate. It's kind of a shame to still see that. I understand husbandry advances are made and people want to try their hand. But, selling animals that have no history of survival to anyone that walks in the store probably isn't the best look for our industry.
I couldn’t agree more. It is sad what people will import. Even worse when someone sells something knowing it isn’t going to live. I was just saying since he already has it best of luck.

OP
OP
IntrinsicReef

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t agree more. It is sad what people will import. Even worse when someone sells something knowing it isn’t going to live. I was just saying since he already has it best of luck.
Well, I appreciate you being pleasant and not giving me a lecture, as I had no influence over the acquisition. His tank is full of aquacultured corals I have grown and sold him. But, sometimes people just need that hit of retail therapy.

Last edited:

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 38 22.1%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 102 59.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back