Dosing or Calcium Reactor?

Tstead_504

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a 210g display with about 80g of support, tank will be predominantly SPS. I am trying to gather some opinions (with backing) as to whether or not it would behoove me to run a calcium reactor or do 3 part dosing?

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium reactors take a while to find tune and dial-in, and then you have to do it again four to six months later after changing out the media, and it could be a couple week process at that. Also you have to look at drop in Ph coming out of Ca reactor. Dosing will increase based on load. I'm a huge Kalk guy, love it, incredibly stable, cost effective as well!
Great choice on 210, just picked one up myself!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tstead_504

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium reactors take a while to find tune and dial-in, and then you have to do it again four to six months later after changing out the media, and it could be a couple week process at that. Also you have to look at drop in Ph coming out of Ca reactor. Dosing will increase based on load. I'm a huge Kalk guy, love it, incredibly stable, cost effective as well!
Great choice on 210, just picked one up myself!

What all are you running with your set up?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk is great until it can't keep up with your system. But you have to use a peristaltic pump. Kalk is murder on regular pumps.
Cheapest way to go.

Dosing pumps work well. Just make sure you dose in equal amounts.
Easy to dial in and make adjustments.
Hopefully the software/firmware doesn't cause it to go crazy and empty your containers into your tank overnight.
Mid range $ for startup. Most expensive long term. Can get quite expensive in a thriving SPS tank.
And you have to keep mixing up new batches of two-part. Frequency depends on your tank.

CaRx takes a little longer to dial in but is then rock solid.
Automatically "doses" your elements in equal amounts and you can add a little bit of magnesium media too.
Once dialed in, it's the most hands off. Media and C02 can last 6 months or more and both are cheap to refill.
Most expensive to start up, but cheaper than dosing in the long run.
Can lower your pH.
Make the most sense for big tanks with demanding coral.

I've done all three, in that order, and prefer the CaRx.
200g display with another 150g on other tanks and sump.

OP
OP
T

Tstead_504

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk is great until it can't keep up with your system. But you have to use a peristaltic pump. Kalk is murder on regular pumps.
Cheapest way to go.

Dosing pumps work well. Just make sure you dose in equal amounts.
Easy to dial in and make adjustments.
Hopefully the software/firmware doesn't cause it to go crazy and empty your containers into your tank overnight.
Mid range $ for startup. Most expensive long term. Can get quite expensive in a thriving SPS tank.
And you have to keep mixing up new batches of two-part. Frequency depends on your tank.

CaRx takes a little longer to dial in but is then rock solid.
Automatically "doses" your elements in equal amounts and you can add a little bit of magnesium media too.
Once dialed in, it's the most hands off. Media and C02 can last 6 months or more and both are cheap to refill.
Most expensive to start up, but cheaper than dosing in the long run.
Can lower your pH.
Make the most sense for big tanks with demanding coral.

I've done all three, in that order, and prefer the CaRx.
200g display with another 150g on other tanks and sump.

You are using a LifeReef CaRx correct? and thats connected to your paristalic pump which pulls the calcium and co2 rich water from the reactor and into the sump near the inlet on the protein skimmer?

I've been talking with my LFS and the owner keeps telling me to dose and stay away from CaRx, however from what I've gathered he is seriously into keeping things simple and basic, says dosing is the way to go.

I am aware that my system will not consume monster amounts of calcium at first however I do want to be prepared with proper quality equipment once my tank is more established.

Since you have experienced with all 3 methods. which would you reccomend I use when starting off? (I think I'll go with a CaRx once tank is established though, uless you reccomend getting one up front)

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say start with Kalk. Costs next to nothing to get started and some people get by with it forever.
If you end up needing more, then you can weigh the cons and pros at that time.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having done both dosing and a calicum reactor, I would never go back to dosing given a choice. Once the reactor is dialed in it is almost idiot proof.

BryanB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having done both dosing and a calicum reactor, I would never go back to dosing given a choice. Once the reactor is dialed in it is almost idiot proof.
I am so glad to here this expesialy the idiot part I tend to way over complicate things. I am waiting on my regulator and probe to set mine up should be here wednsday.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back