T5 ballasts question

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 6 bulb tek lights. The ballasts are out of the them and won't fire the lights. Out at menards tonight I was just walking around and happened to see the ballasts there. They have similar ballasts by sylvania.

Will these ballasts work?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the ballast is HO and says it can handle up to 3 bulbs, per ballast. Check that its HO and the wattage. But yes, those can work on T5HO lighting.

Kyuss414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you want to make sure they're spec'd for the size T5s you're running and what those specs are. I know Home Depot carries Advance Centrium ballasts that are T5HO spec (right near 1.0 ballast factor and programmed rapid start).

What size T5 bulbs are you running?

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bulbs are 36" and 39 watt. The ballast stated for T5HO, one was for two bulb and one was for up to 4 bulbs. I will double check them against what I have and make sure. They were also for fast start if I recall correctly.

Kyuss414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bulbs are 36" and 39 watt. The ballast stated for T5HO, one was for two bulb and one was for up to 4 bulbs. I will double check them against what I have and make sure. They were also for fast start if I recall correctly.
You'll want to make sure they're for F39T5/39W T5s.. looking on Menards website only lists F54T5/54W T5s (and one 28W,) which makes sense since 4ft bulbs going to be a lot more common for recessed ceiling lights etc. Same with home depot and lowes, the few T5 ballasts they have are usually 54W, at least that I've seen in stores locally and on their websites, so you'd likely be outta luck their as well for your setup.

Personally I'd just order online. Advance Centium ICN-2S39 or ICN-2S39N are 2 lamp ballasts that would drive the bulbs with a 1.0 ballast factor (ie. right at what the T5 spec calls for) and again has the programmed rapid start. Regular rapid start, and particularly instant start ballasts blacken the end of the bulbs over time while the programmed rapid start doesn't. Being that a pair of bulbs are about the same price as a 2 lamp ballast in your case and need to be replaced way more often than ballasts, I think it's worth to get the most out of your bulbs IMO. The only difference between the two models I listed are the Ns are quite a bit shorter and come with wire leads, whereas the non-N model has little push-in terminal blocks, but functionally they are identical.

You can get away with using some T8 or T12 ballasts with a bit of research, but the ballasts all pretty much cost the same and they don't drive T5 bulbs as intended. So you can end up with a different color spectrum and shorter bulb life - they usually tend to always overdrive t5 bulbs and be regular rapid start or instant start. To me it's just not one of those things worth cutting corners on.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get Workhorse Ballasts, if you can't find the right ones at the store.

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I took the ballasts out of the fixture and was reading what they were. I assume these are factory ballasts, but I can't prove that. They are ballasts for 54 watt T5. The ones I have found match then almost word for word and picture. Wiring is the same. Stated as F54T5HO on them

Kyuss414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get Workhorse Ballasts, if you can't find the right ones at the store.
Fullhams Workhorse line is T8/12 ballasts. Their Racehorse line is their T5 line.

Personally I'd spend my money elsewhere as I didn't have good luck with them in the past.

Specs looks fine but which are they for, the 39W or 54W? It's also a little concerning that they vary slightly between tabs on that page. What is there seems good, but a bit sketchky IMO. I'd want to see a spec sheet from the manfacturer, which is my next issue - says "Premium" in the pic.. good luck googling that to look em up. Which also means unknown reliablity, customer service, etc. That's why I recommended the Advance Centiums, they're made by Phillips.

So I took the ballasts out of the fixture and was reading what they were. I assume these are factory ballasts, but I can't prove that. They are ballasts for 54 watt T5. The ones I have found match then almost word for word and picture. Wiring is the same. Stated as F54T5HO on them
I've seen ballasts before listed for running F39/F54 like what DFW lined above and assume they have some type of internal regulator for the two, honestly though I've never looked into it - it could just be a marketing thing. Even if the ballast is only designed & labeled for a 54W bulb, a 39W bulb certainly would work in it but likely going to overdrive the bulbs and inconsistently at that from bulb to bulb or exactly how much so color spectrum and bulb life are a toss up. Not sure if it would affect the ballast or not, again I haven't looked into it. If any of the current ballasts work a little testing could be interesting. If none of them are, that'd tell me something with that many failed ballasts. :)

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One ballast is each light is out. They aren't the same ballast either, or is the two bulb and one is the four bulb ballast. If I am going through the effort of changing the ballast, I am changing all four. No point in doing on, then having the other fail later. I assume a 54 watt driver will over drive the 39 watt bulbs. Is this going to affect the bulbs besides shortening their life span? What about the life span? We should change bulbs every 12-18 months to keep our color spectrum where we want it. So if they over drive the bulbs,his that a issue?

What kind of testing are your thinking Kyuss414?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Kyuss414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One ballast is each light is out. They aren't the same ballast either, or is the two bulb and one is the four bulb ballast. If I am going through the effort of changing the ballast, I am changing all four. No point in doing on, then having the other fail later. I assume a 54 watt driver will over drive the 39 watt bulbs. Is this going to affect the bulbs besides shortening their life span? What about the life span? We should change bulbs every 12-18 months to keep our color spectrum where we want it. So if they over drive the bulbs,his that a issue?

What kind of testing are your thinking @Kyuss414?
Life span and color shift. I tried the IceCap route on a previous setup which are well known for over-driving the bulbs and was lucky to get 9 months out of bulbs.

For testing, if you can't find the manufacturers specs for the ballast in the fixtures or they don't list it, you could test to see how much power the 39W bulbs are pulling with them.

Fullhams Workhorse line is T8/12 ballasts. Their Racehorse line is their T5 line.

Personally I'd spend my money elsewhere as I didn't have good luck with them in the past.

Workhorse are also for T5HO Lamps. Have a look at the charts:
https://www.1000bulbs.com/pdf/fulham-wh5120l-chart.pdf
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/2...dkI6sckrZ8jOhB4EFfymOQwMmb4JDP4-opBoCvW3w_wcB
Ah yup they do list it for them. The ballast factor shows it's mostly under or over driving the lights though, and are also instant start. Under driving will likely get you longer bulb life, but again you're not going to get the advertised bulb color spectrum or the best par. Glancing at the specs theres a couple applications they do look ok though, and if you've had good luck with reliability and happy with the color spectrum and bulb life you're getting, all the more for ya.

Personally I just don't see a reason to not drive the bulbs as they were designed according to T5 spec when the proper ballasts are available for the same price from a relatively well known lighting manufacturer.

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just a update. I finally got to change a ballast out tonight, one that I had never seen work. Lights fired right up with the new ballast. Only three more to go!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back