8x80 ATI on a 8ft tank

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have a full foot on each side that won't get coverage, but you could grow lower light corals like LPS and zoa on the ends

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be totally covered with using two 4'. But keep in mind you will have twice the bulbs to replace.

Arron209

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two 54w fixtures would be ideal if you want sps everywhere in your tank. If you run ATI bulbs they'll cost ~$350 to replace on two 8x54w fixtures.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high were you planning on hanging it?

I have that fixture over my 6 foot long 210, and can't notice any shading at the ends. It might not be as bright at the ends, but don't think it would be that bad, should would be a nice place for lower light corals.

OP
OP
SPS_

SPS_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How high were you planning on hanging it?

I have that fixture over my 6 foot long 210, and can't notice any shading at the ends. It might not be as bright at the ends, but don't think it would be that bad, should would be a nice place for lower light corals.

That is what I was thinking. I don't mind growing a few low light corals at the end. I would actually prefer that. I just don't want it to be noticeably darker at the ends to the point where it doesn't look good.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the extra 2' of tank it's going to be noticeably darker on the ends. You're talking a 60" fixture over a 96" tank here.

camelcruiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3 ft powermodule over my 4x3 and the lights way off center because I haven't had a chance to move it since my tank transfer and I tell you what there are no dark spots at all not sure of the par values but still the coverage on ati lights are really good. I don't think a sunpower is much worse off either if that was your plan so I actually think you will be fine.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to nit-pick, but it will be 18" on the ends, and not 24". I know that we are talking about a 60" fixture over an 8 foot tank. Just going off of what I have seen with my 6 footer, no dimming at all.

Post #5 of this older thread has a picture of what you are thinking of doing,
regrets with 60" ATI over 72" tank anyone?? - Reef Central Online Community

Looks like there is a canopy, so not sure how high the fixture is over the tank -- the higher, will provide more spread.

Personally, if I had a longer tank, I would still use my fixture.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From that thread you can clearly see the difference on each end compared to the center
uploadfromtaptalk1428008693463.jpg

I would be on board if it were a 72" tank because it's only 6" on each side. 18" on each side is a different story however

Last edited:

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to nit-pick, but it will be 18" on the ends, and not 24". I know that we are talking about a 60" fixture over an 8 foot tank. Just going off of what I have seen with my 6 footer, no dimming at all.

Post #5 of this older thread has a picture of what you are thinking of doing,
regrets with 60" ATI over 72" tank anyone?? - Reef Central Online Community

Looks like there is a canopy, so not sure how high the fixture is over the tank -- the higher, will provide more spread.

Personally, if I had a longer tank, I would still use my fixture.
i was comparing the 72" tank to the 96" tank when I said 2'

Back