bubble blaster 5000 skimmer pump

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone else had any problems with there bubble blaster 5000 pumps I am on my 3rd one in 2 years I had the bubble blaster 1000 before this and no issues at all.. my problem I have had is the pump get real loud and looks like it has dropped rpm to the point it wont skim you can see right threw the reaction chamber.. and it wont go back up in rpm until its unplugged and plugged back in.. very frustrating

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had nothing but issues, it started pulsing back and forth, if I nudged the pin-wheel it would sometimes turns over, had it replaced and 2 months later that new one just wouldn't turn over... gave up and trashed it POG.

Last edited:
OP
OP
saltwaterpicaso

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that really sucks im reading more and more that these pumps are not good at all I will be on my third one you would think I would get one that would last I wonder if there dc pumps are any better

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that really sucks im reading more and more that these pumps are not good at all I will be on my third one you would think I would get one that would last I wonder if there dc pumps are any better

I almost gave up on the brand but, decided to give them one last try with the POV-DC2 and also just recently a regal 300EXT... I've had the POV-DC2 for 2yrs and not one freaking issue, the regal I just got but, also no issues, the DC motor is the reason why I got them both.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had great results with there other smaller bubble blaster pumps just not the 5000 maybe I can retro fit a dc onto my skimmer

Worth a try, maybe make a "how to" thread on how you did it? Others would benefit from a thread like that.

OP
OP
saltwaterpicaso

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think its bs that I will have to buy a pump for an $800 skimmer because the pumps keep failing.. even though they replace them at some point I will be out of warranty and be stuck with a bad pump

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried contacting them? Theres warranties on that stuff. Usually one year for mechanical failure. They gotta send you a updated version at some point I would think.

OP
OP
saltwaterpicaso

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in contact for 2 weeks and was told the pump was out of warranty because I could not find my receipt I final found it and guess what it is still in warranty. so I mailed it back am still waiting for replacement this will be the 3rd one so im really worried I will be out of a pump in a year if this one stays the same course as the others

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep receipt for this one, send it back working or not, in 11 months. :bigsmile:

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having extra impellers can turn a nightmare into just a pita. It pays to have backups of everything. I agree you should not have to. We pay enough this stuff should just work. Keep in mind the manufacturers don't mind that we are their R&D

OP
OP
saltwaterpicaso

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they don't give you a receipt for the new pump you don't get a new three year warranty with it either it goes off the original pump so even though its new you only get the original warranty so its still ends at the three year mark and that is bs also the whole world has warranties that start with a new product

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ncfishguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same problem with my sro 2000 all they told me wax pump is out of warranty need to replace it when I email them . Had my skimmer little over three years ! Think I'll go the dc route this time with another brand

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same problem with my sro 2000 all they told me wax pump is out of warranty need to replace it when I email them . Had my skimmer little over three years ! Think I'll go the dc route this time with another brand

IMO I don't dislike the skimmers (body), just the choice of pump installed... I have nothing but good things to say about the DC pumps on RO skimmers.

ncfishguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO I don't dislike the skimmers (body), just the choice of pump installed... I have nothing but good things to say about the DC pumps on RO skimmers.

Yea I wished they had a way of using a dc pump instead

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This kinda has me worried. I purchased a reef octopus 6000 ext last year and it has a BB HY-5000. Have not had any problems

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This kinda has me worried. I purchased a reef octopus 6000 ext last year and it has a BB HY-5000. Have not had any problems

The one I had was 16 months in when I received a call from my son telling me the skimmer was off... for what it's worth, I would suggest sourcing a backup pump as you can run a little over 7-days without a skimmer (I've done it and know of other that have also).

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I wished they had a way of using a dc pump instead

If I had the old skimmer I would try to retro a DC onto it and post up a "how to"... little comfort to most that are in the same boat but, helpful to others?

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back