Anybody else do this?

beaver962001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I just got a used 120 gal last week with sump. The tank has dual overflows rated at 700 gph each. The return pump is only rated at 950 gph so instead of just upgrading the pump I bought one just like it so I'm running 2 950 gph pumps inline then splitting between each overflow. Has anybody else done this? How does it work for u? Will the pumps be fighting each other ran like this? I'm just wondering before I fill the tank this week...Thanks
uploadfromtaptalk1429487911368.jpg

nazzman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 pump pushing into same pipe gives you the same flow rate as they are pushing against each other at the tee

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you you have the two pumps plumbed to one line and then split again into two?
Plumbing two pumps into one line is fine, but the line it goes into should be larger. Two 3/4 pipes into a 1" line. Spilting those lines later seems counter productive.
Also the way your T is installed has a huge negative impact of flow. Both pumps have two hard 90s. This adds a lot of head pressure to the flow and reduces is rate. Using a wye would cause less head loss, another option would be to have your T installed as a side out. HTH

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to P. R. Escobar's Aquatica System Engineering when two pumps are plumbed in parallel there is not an increase in pressure but there is an increase in flow. He writes about the importance of pipe diameter having an increase to the shared pipes diameter. Personally I would redo the plumbing, sorry. But you will achieve better flow by having two lines, each pump going to its own overflow or plumb the two pumps in parallel the shared line should be of a greater diameter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

beaver962001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the your input. The lines connecting the pumps r 3/4. The tee that connects them is 1" and it continues 1" to the overflows. I may redo it. I'll prolly see how it does first tho...

JoeIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Befor you "go live" simulate a single pump failure - it is possible that in teh event of a single pump failure the other pump would end up recirculating drictly back into the sump backwards through the failed pump, instead of giving you half the flow to the display like you may expect. The real value of having two pumps is that redundancy, where if one fails you still have flow to the display.

welder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is my reasoning for check valves at the pumps if one fails the check valve would keep it from recirculating thru the other pump.
And if you have a power failure it would not back siphon when the pump stops.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back