How do I get the right pump speed to achieve 790 gph on RS REEFER 350?

anthony1222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cycling rs reefer 350 g2 and my overflow water level changes everyday. I heard that this has to do with the speed of the return pump but I’m confused because I don’t know how to calculate how much gph my pump is really doing. I have a reef run 5500 pump (530-1450 gph) running at 65%.

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
anthony1222

anthony1222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you get it dialed in it will change on its own. I have a reefer 170 and a 300 g2. Both will be fine then for no reason the overflow will be too high or too low, usually too high. And it usually happens in the middle of the night waking me up. Both of mine starting making noise last weekend and I had to fiddle with them through out the day. They are finicky and I haven't figured out why. I've just learned to deal with it. The only advise I can give is make adjustment to the valve very slowly and wait at least 10 minutes or so for things to stabilize between adjustments.
EDIT: I have DC pumps now but the same thing happened with AC pumps. DC pumps make it a little better since you can adjust the pump and valve. I wouldn't even bother trying to calculate flow. Just get it dialed in so it's quite. JMO

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My take will be different as I do not like restricting the overflow to control the level. I have and always will put a ball valve on the return and leave the drain wide open.
In 30+ I have never had an issue with the overflow level.

So on your system forget about what the actual flow number is and slow the pump down. A local who runs the same system just slowed the pump down and all is good.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 149 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back