Reef Aquarium Fact #200 New protein skimmers will not function correctly until they are clean of oil

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #200

Protein skimmers new out of the box will produce microbubbles through the outlet side until it has a chance to remove the residual oils from the manufacturing process. It's best to clean your new skimmer with Ro/DI water and vinegar to cut down on the break in period. It can take up to 2 weeks to dial in a new skimmer to find it's sweet spot.

True or False and what do you have to add to this subject? Please share your photos as well! :D

Warner-Marine-MF-Line-of-Protein-Sk.jpg

Last edited:

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
relatively true, that is the "break in" period of most skimmers. My reef octo worked right away, so perhaps not all oils will do this. A vinegar soak will solve the oil problem overnight.

numsie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, some say yes some say no, my JNS Skimmer worked right out of the box, no micro bubbles at all. I think it depends on the design and how well you adjust it.

uall8up

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not have 1 problem with my skimmer. Funny that the pic you posted rev, is the brand I bought. Thank you Jon!!! This is the first skimmer I have ever had and I was very nervous about setting it up. At the time I was ready to fire this badboy up, my internet and cable was out due to the cable snapping off the pole, I needed to look up how to tune it.. I had no idea what I was doing so I just sat back and thought...what is the purpose of a skimmer...so after plugging it in and watching it for a few minutes, it took no time at all to get it dialed in and working properly. I have no issues since the second I plugged it in.

NanoNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
relatively true, that is the "break in" period of most skimmers. My reef octo worked right away, so perhaps not all oils will do this. A vinegar soak will solve the oil problem overnight.
my reef octo took about a week or so to start producing waste. I didnt soak it or any thing tho.

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't say I've ever bought a brand new one but can say anytime I clean mine this generally happens for a few hours.

azjohnny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only for skimmers, but I have noticed new filter socks will make a skimmer go crazy . I now put any new filter socks through the washing machine with about 4 oz of vinegar and than rinsed with RO/DI water before using

lakeviewink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had the pleasure, or the coin, to experience a brand new skimmer out of the box, but I've noticed, like was said in previous posts, that they are sensitive to any residuals left behind by cleaning or anything like two-part epoxy or even skin oils from your bare hands in the tank

Back