Need Help with Aquamaxx Cone-S Q-2 Series In-Sump Protein Skimmer

SWFT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acquired a brand new AquaMaxx Cone-S Q Series In-Sump Protein Skimmer with a tank deal and cannot figure out how to dial it in. I know the first thing I need to do is to break it in. I’m looking for someone who owns one and can help me determine if mine is acting normal.

The issue that I have is that micro bubble line is much lower than what I have seen for a similar skimmer on YT videos. This causes the bubbles to escape from the output and around the venturi inlet hole that’s thru the main body. The amount of bubbles are significant where it foams a lot, not a typical break in bubbles.

I followed the recommended water heights which is 7-8” I believe according to the manual and also tried increasing and decreasing the water heights. Closing the output valve to about 3/4 closed or more tames it but the microbubble line is still pretty close and the cut overflows very fast, with in 10-15 seconds. I kept it running for a week or two with the drain pipe open at the collection cup and no changes happened.

I also tried to limit the amount of air is entering it also causes the bubble line in the body to get lower and escape thru the output and input holes.

I’m looking to see if anyone with this unit can tell me if it’s part of the normal break in period.

IMG_0402.jpeg IMG_0401.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0362.mov
    22.7 MB

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know with my cone s, you need a high level of nutrients. I basically run mine once a month. I even reached out to brs to see if they could get me a smaller pump. I feel they put too large a pump on the ac version

OP
OP
S

SWFT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know with my cone s, you need a high level of nutrients. I basically run mine once a month. I even reached out to brs to see if they could get me a smaller pump. I feel they put too large a pump on the ac version
That’s exactly what I feel like. I think the pump is way too strong. I designed a small inlet restrictor that limits the flow but I feel like the pump is going to get damaged.

Did BRS get back to you with a different pump option?

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly what I feel like. I think the pump is way too strong. I designed a small inlet restrictor that limits the flow but I feel like the pump is going to get damaged.

Did BRS get back to you with a different pump option?
No. They told me they were not supposed to be modified. I keep checking for the dc pump there. I think that that’s the ticket. I don’t believe restricting the inflow would hurt as long as it doesn’t go dry. Let me know how it goes I may try the same.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need patience, let it break in. I like running my new skimmer in the backyard in a 10 gallon tank, I just dump skim mate from one of my skimmer in the tank, skimmer goes crazy and it is breaking in.
Looks like it is time to rotate my skimmer back to my Aqua Maxx Cones S 2

OP
OP
S

SWFT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are absolutely right, it finnaly started to die down but only when I started to see nutrients going up. I also did end up designing a flow restrictor and 3D printing it to help while the skimmer breaks in. It seemed to help.

OP
OP
S

SWFT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0412.jpeg

I printed several sizes since I didn’t know which size would work best. They simply clip in to intake.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0412.jpeg

I printed several sizes since I didn’t know which size would work best. They simply clip in to intake.
Awesome job on the restrictors. Just watch you don’t bottom out nutrients. I really only run my cone s like one night like every other week

OP
OP
S

SWFT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! My plan is to get the skimmer broken in and put it on a schedule with nutrient monitoring. So far I have only been running it during the day.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! My plan is to get the skimmer broken in and put it on a schedule with nutrient monitoring. So far I have only been running it during the day.
Switch to night

mikegrim34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked a used one up for my new tank build I have a question on it. I am missing 2 parts for it and I don’t know where I can order the parts that I need does anyone know where I can order them?

OP
OP
S

SWFT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked a used one up for my new tank build I have a question on it. I am missing 2 parts for it and I don’t know where I can order the parts that I need does anyone know where I can order them?
What parts are you looking for?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that you can get parts at BRS

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back